Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – November 22, 2015
Android fans, this week Google released big updates to Google+, Photos, Fit, and other apps; Samsung launched new entry-level devices; we heard hot rumors about the LG G5; Samsung introduced the wonderfully weird W2016; OEMs announced plans for their Marshmallow updates; we tried to clear up some of the confusion surrounding USB Type C; NVIDIA refreshed its Shield Tablet; Google and ASUS launched their Chromebit; rumors and teasers gave us an idea of what to expect from Xiaomi’s next event; and LG cancelled the just-released G Watch LTE 2nd edition.
Inside AA HQ
As promised, this week we launched the first round of our gift guide series. We’re starting with the best gifts under $50. If you’re looking for some tech stocking stuffers, this is where you can start your search. Keep an eye out for more guides coming soon.
Speaking of guides, don’t forget to check our updated Black Friday 2015 deals roundup.
This week, we’re giving away the excellent LG V10. Featuring a stainless steel frame and a very durable construction, the V10 is one of the best devices of the season. Enter the sweepstakes here.
[ooyala code=”Voc2wxeTqW0A9TVOZMRop_eja06f889Q” player_id=”7f2b2d0412e84a188ede8d648751dc42″ width=”1920″ height=”1080″ auto=”true”]
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Impressions: Nirave lists the pros and cons of getting a BlackBerry Priv
- Versus: The two best Android devices of right now: Galax Note 5 vs Nexus 6P
- Guide: Selling a used phone: do’s and dont’s
- Review: OnePlus X: great bang for the money
- Gift guide: Holidays are coming! Here’s what tech gifts you can get for under $50
Top news of the week
LG G5 rumors
- LG G5 may have a metal unibody design
- LG G5 coming in Q1 2016, with metal body, and new design – Korean report
Samsung’s entry-level assault
- Galaxy J3⑥ launched in China with 5-inch AMOLED display and 2,600 mAh battery
- Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016) and Galaxy A7 (2016) further leak in picture form!
- Report: Samsung’s budget smartphones to get fingerprint readers and Samsung Pay (NFC)
A Galaxy S6 flip phone?
- If they mated: Samsung has a Galaxy S6-esque Android flip phone with some surprising specs
- Samsung launches W2016, a Galaxy S6 trapped inside a flip phone body
- (Update: system dump available) One T-Mobile Note 5 user reportedly just received Marshmallow
- ASUS announces devices that will receive the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update
- OnePlus One and OnePlus 2 will get Marshmallow in Q1 2016
- Shield Tablet and Tablet K1 set to receive Android Marshmallow in the coming months
- This is Sony’s Concept for Marshmallow, and it’s very promissing
USB Type C confusion
- Googler says OnePlus’ USB Type-C adapter is not safe for latest Nexus devices
- USB Type C and 3.1: clearing up the confusion
NVIDIA Shield K1 refresh
Xiaomi rumors & teasers
- Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 2 Pro expected to launch November 24
- Xiaomi teaser shows off Redmi Note 2 Pro’s rear fingerprint scanner
- Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 to be unveiled November 24th, alongside Redmi Note 2 Pro
Google apps updates
- Google Search can now answer much more complex questions
- Google+ receives a huge redesign centered around Communities and Collections (Updated)
- Google Camera version 3.1 update brings new interface for devices running Marshmallow
- Google Photos update helps free up precious phone storage
- Google will now let you stream apps directly from Google Search
- You can now invite non-Google users to join Hangouts video calls
- Latest Google Fit update brings real-time running stats, strength training info and more
Goodbye, LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.