Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to record your screen on Samsung phones or tablets
If a picture can say a thousand words, imagine what a video can express! Sometimes the best way to show someone how to do something on the phone, showcase a feature, or explain a process, is to make a screen video. Thankfully, recording your screen on a Samsung phone or tablet is effortless. Those rocking a Samsung phone or tablet are in luck, as today we’re here to show you exactly how this is done.
Record your screen on Samsung devices by swiping down from the home screen, swiping down again to expand the quick toggles, and tapping Screen recorder. Make your audio selection, then tap on Start recording. When done, tap the Stop button.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
Editor’s note: Steps in this article were put together using a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus running Android 12. Steps might be different depending on your device and software version.
Which Samsung phones and tablets come with Samsung Screen Recorder?
While most other Android users have to rely on third-party apps to record their screen activity, Samsung has its own solution. It’s called Samsung Screen Recorder. All of the latest popular Samsung phones come with it, but it’s also important to mention not all of the manufacturer’s devices have it. Generally, any Samsung phone running One UI 2 or later should have it. Samsung has an official list of supported devices, though.
Important: It seems even Samsung can be late to update its information. This list doesn’t include the latest Samsung Galaxy S22 series, which has Samsung Screen Recorder. If your phone isn’t listed, you should still try out the instructions below to see if your phone happens to support Screen Recorder. Don’t worry if it doesn’t, though. We’ll also tell you how to do this using a third-party app.
How to record your screen using Samsung Screen Recorder
Capturing your screen will be a breeze if your Samsung phone supports Screen Recorder.
How to use Samsung Screen Recorder:
- Turn on and unlock your Samsung phone’s screen.
- Swipe your finger from the top to the bottom to pull out the Notification panel.
- Swipe your finger from the top to the bottom to expand it.
- Find the Screen recorder option in your Quick Settings. If you can’t see it, swipe to the end of the Quick Settings and tap on the + button. Find Screen Recorder and add it. Then tap on it.
- Select whether you want to record No Sound, Media sounds, or Media sounds and mic.
- Hit Start recording.
- A countdown will start, and your phone will begin recording your screen right after.
- Hit the Stop button when done.
- Samsung will save the recording in your gallery.
Using a third-party app
The great thing about Android is that you don’t have to rely on any manufacturer to give you features. There’s a healthy list of apps on the Google Play Store for doing just about anything, and that includes screen recording applications.
Every app works differently, so we can’t give you a universal step-by-step guide on using screen recording software on Android. Instead, we will provide you with a tutorial on using Screen Recorder – XRecorder, with over 4.8 million reviews and a 4.8-star rating. It looks to be the best option around.
Other options: These are the best Android apps for screen recording
Record your screen using XRecorder:
- Download Screen Recorder – XRecorder from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the app and go through the setup process.
- Tap the + button on the lower part of the UI.
- Select Record Video.
- Hit Start now.
- A countdown will start, and the app will start recording right after.
- Tap on the floating icon when done.
- Hit the Stop button.
- Your phone will save the video. You’ll also get a pop-up window with options to delete, edit, or share the video.
Most modern Samsung phones come with the Samsung Screen Recorder app. You’ll only need a third-party option if you have a pretty old device.
On Samsung phones, screen recordings can be found either using the Gallery app or the My Files app.
The Samsung Screen Recorder app is very simplified, which makes changing settings a bit of a hidden feature. The process is simple once you know how to do it, though. Simply swipe down from the home screen twice, then tap and hold on to the Screen recorder option. You’ll see all options here.
Your screen recorders will be saved as a simple video file. This means you can use the My Files app to move it wherever you want, including an SD card, if your phone still supports one.