Mobile Gaming Industry a Billion-dollar Game

July 29, 2011
4 25 4 1

    Gone are the days when gaming meant having to wait until you’ve reached home so you could play on your desktop. Games today are no longer confined to desktops and laptops. They have invaded smartphones and tablets, as well. Last year, the mobile entertainment industry was worth US$33 billion dollars, and the biggest reason for that is the rapid proliferation and quick adoption of mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

    There are a lot of fascinating things to know about the mobile gaming industry, and Geekaphone lumped all of them into a neat infographic. Some of the highlights include the following:

    • The mobile entertainment industry, of which mobile gaming is just a subset, was worth US$33 billion in 2010. It is expected to be worth US$54 billion in 2015.
    • The mobile gaming industry is expected to make US$8 billion this year, and will be earning US$11.4 billion in 2014.
    • Female gamers (53%) outnumber male gamers (47%).
    • The gamer’s average age is 28.2 years.
    • The majority of gamers lie in the 18 to 44 age range.
    • More than half (58%) of the most popular developers produce games for multiple platforms.
    • In 2010 alone, game developers earned US$87 million from advertising revenue. That figure will balloon 10 times (about US$894 million) by 2015.
    • About 8 out of 10 tablet owners play games, with 62% of them playing games for 2 hours or less, while the remaining 38% play for more than 2 hours.
    • The apps on the Android market will soon outnumber those on the Apple App Store.
    • More free apps are available from the Android Market than from the Apple App Store.

    mobile games infographic

    You can view the original infographic along with Geekaphone’s accompanying article entitled “Mobile Gaming is Dominating the Gaming Industry.” Geekaphone’s references are listed towards the end of the article.

    Comments

    • http://androidfanatics.blogspot.com/ CoreAn_Crack3rZ

      Nice stats out there. Can be used for business presentations and the like. Thanks for this

    Popular

    Latest