Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to use AirPlay on any Apple device
If you’re looking at your iPhone or iPad screen and wondering how you can make things much bigger, then AirPlay could be the answer. If you’re not prepared to pay for an Apple TV, for example, but you want your shows and movies on a bigger screen, you can stream them from your devices instead. Or you can use AirPlay to mirror the contents of your screen to another screen (such as photos and presentations.) It’s basically Apple’s version of a Chromecast. Here’s how to use AirPlay to transfer media from the small screen to the big screen.
Read more: What is Apple AirPlay?
To use AirPlay, open the AirPlay-compatible app and go to the media you want to transfer to another screen. Tap the screen and select the AirPlay icon. Select the device you want to transfer to from the list, and it should move over. You will be asked to input a four-digit code into your Apple device to authorize the media transfer.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to AirPlay from an Apple device to an AirPlay-capable device
If you want to move video content from one device to another, using AirPlay, here’s what you need to do. Open the movie or show, and then tap the screen. Select the AirPlay logo on the right.
This will bring up a list of all your AirPlay-compatible devices. To appear on this list, it must support AirPlay, it must be switched on and woken up, and the devices must be within range of one another. Select the device you want to AirPlay to.
You may be asked to enter a four-digit code into the sending device to authorize the media transfer. The code will appear on the receiving device screen.
If you want to AirPlay a photo or a document, open it up. Then open the Share menu and select AirPlay.
Troubleshooting tips if AirPlay isn’t working
If you’re having trouble getting AirPlay to work, there are a few things you can try to get it working again.
- Make sure your devices are powered on, awake, and near each other. Switched-off devices, even those in sleep mode, will not appear on the AirPlay devices list.
- Update all your devices to the latest available software, either iOS or macOS. On iOS, go to Settings >General > Software Update. On a Mac, go to the Apple menu >System Settings >General >Software Update.
- Connect your devices to the exact same Wi-Fi network. Also, switch off all VPNs.
- Restart your internet router, Apple TV, and Apple devices.
- Make sure AirPlay isn’t restricted by Content & Privacy Restrictions.
Both devices have to be very close to one another (at least in the same room) for a connection to be made. If they are further apart, AirPlay will not work.
No. In this instance, a code will appear on the TV screen, and you must input it into the Apple device you’re trying to connect.