Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week - June 14, 2015
Hello Android fans, this week brought us rumors of new Samsung devices, a potential release date for the OnePlus 2, and Apple’s first foray into the world of Android apps.
The iPhone maker can’t pretend Android doesn’t exist any longer, so it’s bringing Music to Google’s platform this summer; patents gave us a glimpse at Samsung’s future folding tablets and smartphones, while more details of the rumored Galaxy S6 Plus surfaced; OnePlus cut the price of its first device by $50, as the OnePlus 2 is coming round the corner; Google had another busy update window; a new report confirmed the Huawei Nexus; BlackBerry is reportedly working on an Android device; and Oculus introduced the consumer version of the Rift.
Inside AA HQ
It’s been pretty quiet around AA HQ this week, though that doesn’t mean we’ve revved down our Android coverage engines. Quite the opposite, we had several cool reviews, comparisons, and feature pieces coming out these past seven days, and some of the best are highlighted below.
The world’s biggest gaming event, E3, is starting this Tuesday, and for the first time ever, Android Authority will be covering the show on the ground. Gaming on Android is big and getting bigger each year, and we want to be a part of that. Expect hands-on coverage of hot new titles and Android gaming devices, but also our impressions of the show as a whole. Game on!
This week we’re putting a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge up for grabs. As always, it’s super easy to get your raffle tickets, so you’ve got nothing to lose!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Opinion: Nirave discusses the benefits and drawbacks of rugged devices
- Opinion: Should after-sale services and warranty programs be higher on your list of priorities?
- Review: Lanh reviews the excellent Xiaomi Mi Note Pro
- Versus: Josh pitches against each other the two hottest Android devices right now: S6 Edge and LG G4
- Review: It’s not just the flagships that matter: Bailey reviews the affordable Blue Life One
- Feature: Gary gives you a thoughtful perspective on the changes the emergence of true AI will bring
- Feature: Samsung is at a turning point. What paths can it take?
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
S6 Plus and Note 5 rumors
Apple on Android
OnePlus One & 2
Google apps updates
- Google Maps gains improved photo viewer and rental car information in v9.10 update
- Google’s new family-friendly section now live in the Play Store
- Google offering a free movie rental for Chromecast owners
- Android Auto update supports Galaxy S4 and S5 on AT&T, Sprint and Verizon
- Gmail adds OAuth support for Microsoft and Yahoo email accounts
- Google Slides updated bringing Chromecast support and more
Oculus Rift is ready for business
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: