Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
It’s been a fun week in the world of Android. Google finally dropped Android 5.1 and we were happy to see it’s more than just bug fixes. New features may also be coming soon to Android Wear. We heard more interesting tidbits about Samsung’s hot new Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, including talk about an Active version featuring a massive battery. More rumors about LG’s and HTC’s next hero devices emerged. Google reorganized its device store and released a cheaper and nicer Chromebook Pixel. Cyanogen revealed some details about its upcoming plans. And finally Google issued nice updates to several of its apps.
Inside AA HQ
We’re back with a new installment of Android Authority this week after a two week hiatus for MWC. The show itself has been a blast, but we all had even more fun on the sidelines, just catching up with each other, meeting new people, and getting to hang out with fellow bloggers and journalists from the Android community. Check out a short gallery from the show here: it’s just a taste of an experience that we try to share with you at every show.
Moving on, we’re looking forward to reviewing the undisputed stars of MWC – the HTCOne M9, Galaxy S6, and Galaxy S6 Edge. All three devices are on their way and our reviews will be going up as soon as embargos let us. We’re really stoked to put these beasts through their paces, and we know you are stoked to learning everything about them, so stay tuned!
As always, keep an eye on our Sunday Giveaway page for a chance to win a hot new device!
The Friday Debate Podcast
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here are some interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Feature focus: Here’s what you can do with the interesting sloped screen of the S6 Edge
- Opinion: Apple Watch details are here: how does it stack up against Android Wear?
- Overview: Matt takes a look at the position and outlook of the biggest players in the mobile industry
- Review: Lanh takes the Mi Note for a spin. These are his conclusions
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Android 5.1 is here
- Google officially unveils Android 5.1 Lollipop
- Here’s the full Android 5.1 changelog
- Android 5.1 brings back silent mode, sort of
- Android 5.1 Lollipop – Here’s what’s new
- (Update: Nexus 5, 6, 7, 10) Android 5.1 OTA update links begin to surface
- Android 5.1 said to be rolling out to Nexus 6 today
- Android 5.1 Lollipop SDK is now available with support for devices with dual-SIM cards
- Android Lollipop 5.1 factory images are now ready for download
Galaxy S6 bits and pieces
- Video: Samsung talks us through the Galaxy S6’s hardware
- Samsung is already ramping up Galaxy S6 production – report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 boasts the best display in the business
- Samsung reportedly has 20 million pre-orders for the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge
- That curved glass on the S6 Edge? It takes time and money
Galaxy S6 Active
LG G4 and G Note shaping up
Android Wear is getting smarter
New Chromebook Pixel hits the Google Store
One E9 breaks cover
Google app updates
- Chrome v41 adds pull-to-refresh functionality, Beta v42 brings ‘site notifications’
- Street Art, Google’s first Android Wear watch face, is now live in the Play Store
- Google VPN service spotted hidden within Android 5.1
- YouTube now supports 360-degree video on desktop and mobile
- Latest Waze update helps estimate how long you’ll be stuck in traffic
- Google Messenger version 1.2 update adds GIF support
- New Google reference app helps developers build multi-screen apps
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: