Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: Android 11 drops, Z Flip review and 8K talk
Android 11 Developer Preview has landed. We’ve explored the new OS, poked all the bits and explored all the dark corners, now we’re excited for what a Pixel 5 could offer. Plenty to explore, let’s dive in:
Android 11 Overview
- Android 11 Developer Preview hands-on impressions
- Android 11 Developer Preview is here, available for Pixel 2, 3, 3a, or 4
(How to install Android 11 Developer Preview on your phone.)
- Best new Android 11 features in the Developer Preview
(Look for our Android 11 Developer Preview hands-on video below.)
Android 11 software updates
- Android 11 Developer Preview will offer screen recording, again
- Android 11 Developer Preview will also offer scrolling screenshots
- Videographers rejoice, you’ll be able to mute notifications while recording video in Android 11
- Bring your conversations together under one notification in Android 11
- Chat bubbles are coming, a fun communications notification baked right into the OS
- Android 11 will let you choose when to use the system-wide dark theme
- Bluetooth will be protected from Airplane mode in Android 11
- Android 11 makes it harder for apps to track you
- Music player in the Quick Settings menu?
Android 11 UI updates
- Other OEMs had a great idea, now Android 11 supports adjustable screen sensitivity, so you can use gloves and screen protectors
- Curved display breaking your app? Android 11 should fix that
- Swipe gestures need more distinction, Google agrees. Swipe from edge settings let you customize
- What was that notification you just swiped away? Android 11 makes it easier to find out
- App pinning to Share menu returns in Android 11
- Try a single swipe to get to Quick Settings
Android 11 hardware support
What’s the best phone on the market right now? We’re not sure, but you can check out our Samsung Galaxy S20 series vs the competition for some ideas. From there, our Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review is live!
In other news, Xiaomi is playing with a new SIM card idea, there was a little WhatsApp leak, SlickWraps gets a bad, um, wrap, and Samsung went heavy on the red with some K-pop. Hit the links below to learn more.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review – It all hinges on the specs
- Suunto 7 review – A fitness tracking for outdoors, it’s good, but is it for you?
- 5G mmWave – Facts and fiction, what is this new 5G thing anyway?
- Samsung Jennie Red – An ode to Blackpink in the form of a phone and wireless earbuds
- Google testing double-tap gestures – Filling the void of the missing swipe on fingerprint scanner function
- Best phone for videographers? – Perhaps the Samsung Galaxy S20 is what you need
- Wait, is 8K a killer feature? – Are first-gen 8K cameras going to be amazing?
- Google ban hammers 600 apps – Thank you Google, we hate ads, too
- My head hurts – How phones are affecting our brains… Squirrel
- Apps and more apps in our Android Apps Weekly – Pokemon Home, Overdrive City and more apps hit the market this week.
From around the network:
Deals of the week:
- Our pick for phone deal of the week is a free Samsung Galaxy S10 on contract with Sprint.
- Our AA TechDeals deal of the week is the Adobe Mastery bundle for 98% off.
Samsung Galaxy S20 and Defense Shield case giveaway
This week, we’re giving away a brand new Samsung Galaxy S20 smartphone. Enter this week’s Sunday giveaway for your chance to win!
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.