Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to add songs to a playlist on Spotify
A playlist is an amalgamation of various songs that are organized in an easily accessible way. Spotify allows you to download music through playlists, and you can add up to 10,000 songs to those playlists at any given time. In order to build any kind of playlist, you need to know how to add songs to a playlist on Spotify.
Read more: How to shuffle on Spotify
THE SHORT ANSWER
To add songs to a Spotify playlist on Android or iOS, find the song you want to add in the mobile app. Press ⋮ > Add to Playlist.
To add songs to a Spotify playlist on the desktop app or the web player, find the song you want to add. Right-click the song itself, and then click Add to playlist.
Playlists allow listeners to create a soundtrack for their situation. If you’re commuting to work, you may want some sort of pick-me-up playlist to get the day started. When you’re in the gym pumping iron, you’ll want music that distinctly doesn’t make you fall asleep.
Let’s go over how to add music to those playlists.
If you’ve reached the end of your playlist and keep listening, you will hear more “relevant” music. Spotify’s algorithm chooses songs that aren’t in your playlist that fit the same sort of genre, BPM, and overall structure to the music in your playlist. This does not mean those songs are added to your playlist, though. Now, if you’re using Spotify Free and have under 15 songs in your playlist, Spotify will add more songs.
How to add songs to a Spotify playlist (Android & iOS)
To add a song to your playlist on Android or iOS:
- Open the Spotify mobile app.
- Navigate to the song you wish to add to your playlist. For example, if we wanted to add “Galaxies” by Protostar to our playlist, we’d type the song’s name in the Search tab.
- Select the ⋮ button to the right of the song to open song options.
- Select Add to Playlist, and then select the playlist to which you want to add the song.
Currently, you can add up to 10,000 songs to a Spotify playlist.
How to add songs to a Spotify playlist (desktop and web player)
Adding a song to a playlist on the desktop app works the exact same way as on the web player:
- Open the Spotify desktop app or web player.
- Navigate to the song you wish to add to your playlist. In this case, we went to the Search tab and searched for “Galaxies” by Protostar.
- Right-click the song.
- Select Add to playlist. All of your playlists will show up to the right, and you can subsequently select whichever playlist you want to add the song to.
Yes. If you’re collaborating on a playlist someone else started and you have the URL, you’re free to add music to that playlist. If you start a collaborative playlist, you’re free to add music to that playlist.
Read more: How to make a Spotify playlist public