Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Daily Authority: Samsung Galaxy S23 specs leak
😲 Good morning and welcome to Tuesday’s Daily Authority! I’m excited to hear whether the Silent Hill series is really making a return, but we’ll have to wait until tomorrow’s Konami event to find out…
Galaxy S23’s SoC and software specs
- We’re looking at pretty much the same hardware as the S22, with the usual chip and software updates.
- Under the hood is said to be the unannounced Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC.
- The phone will also run the Android 13-based One UI 5.
- Rumor also has it more markets will get the Qualcomm variant of the S23 series instead of Samsung’s Exynos variant this time around.
- If the leaked specs are to be believed, we’ll also see a battery boost, though not a significant one: Looks like we could see a 3,900mAh battery compared to the 3,700mAh cell in the vanilla S22.
- There’s no upgrade to charging speeds, though.
Galaxy S22 Ultra, that you?
The phone’s other specs look likely to remain unchanged, but there will be some design tweaks.
- Expect the same 50MP main camera, 12MP ultrawide shooter, and 10MP telephoto lens as the basic Galaxy S22.
- In previously leaked renders we already saw Samsung’s plan to change the camera design. Instead of a raised camera island, we’ll see three vertically stacked sensors sitting directly on the phone’s body, like the Galaxy S22 Ultra.
- The base S23 model is also said to pack 8GB of RAM and 128 or 256GB of storage, just like this year’s model, plus the same 6.1-inch AMOLED display with 120Hz refresh rate.
We’re expecting the phone sometime in February, but we won’t have an official release date until early next year.
👀 Motorola reveals rollable phone concept that extends from the top: The device’s 5-inch screen extends to 6.5 inches, could be the Galaxy Z Flip of the rollable world (Android Authority).
📱 The next OnePlus flagship could be a Pro in all but name (Android Authority).
📺 YouTube ends its 4K video for only premium subscribers experiment: non-premium users should have access to 4K again (Android Authority).
👄 Kanye (Ye) West is buying “uncancelable” social media site Parler hot on the heels of the rapper accusing Meta and Twitter of censoring him in recent weeks (TechCrunch).
😢 Broke up with your partner? Netflix profile transfers are for you (Android Authority).
💰 Somebody wasted $39,000 on an unopened iPhone from 2007 (Android Authority).
🍎 Apple’s mixed reality headset reportedly uses iris scanning for payments and sign-ins (Engadget).
😂 When even Zuckerberg is making fun of iMessage, you know you have a problem (Android Authority).
⌚ Fossil smartwatches start getting Wear OS 3 update with some major omissions: No access to Google Assistant (Android Authority).
💻 NVIDIA “unlaunches” its 12GB RTX 4080 card, saying it wasn’t named right, after criticism it labeled the card with stats overstating its performance (Rock Paper Shotgun).
🎮 Some big Minecraft news: Minecraft Dungeon’s Halloween-y additions, camel mobs, a Batman DLC, and an in-depth look at Minecraft Legends, launching 2023 (Kotaku).
👻 Finishing up with some exciting news: Konami teases the return of Silent Hill with its online event, happening tomorrow, October 19 at 2 PM PDT (Twitter/Konami).
Love Star Wars? Love bread? Hmm, us too, but perhaps not as much as this mother-daughter baking team.
- Hannallee Pervan and her mother, Catherine Pervan, co-owners of One House Bakery in Benicia, California, created a doughy sculpture of Han Solo out of bread.
- “Pan Solo” is an entry for the annual Downtown Benicia Main Street Scarecrow Contest.
- It depicts Han Solo from the scene where he’s frozen in carbonite in The Empire Strikes Back.
- The life-size sculpture took weeks to mold and assemble out of wood and two types of dough.
- The sculpture is six-foot tall. That’s a lot of bread.
- If you knead to see it for yourself (sorry), it’s on display outside the bakery, about a half-hour drive north of San Francisco.
- Han won’t be eaten, and will instead be composted after the competition.
- 😂 Morning Brew suggested the pair’s next sculpture could be Ciabatta the Hutt.
If we’ve left you craving carbs (you’re not alone), you might want to check out our pick of the best Android diet and nutrition apps before diving into that Danish…
I did my best to sign off here with a bread/pastry-related pun, but sadly, I cannoli do so much.
Paula Beaton, Copy Editor.