Chromebooks are cheaper, faster, and simpler than PCs, but learning the ins and outs of a new operating system has its challenges. Everything is slightly different than what you are used to with traditional computers. Chromebook keyboard shortcuts as well as Chromebook trackpad gestures also have a learning curve. Here are the most important ones you should definitely know about.
General Chromebook keyboard shortcuts
- Take a screenshot: Press Ctrl + Show windows button.
- Take a partial screenshot: Press Ctrl + Shift + Show windows button. Select the area.
- Sign out of a Google account: Press Shift + Ctrl + Q twice.
- Lock the screen: Press Search + L.
- Open Files app: Press Shift + Alt + M.
- Use the F keys: Press Search + 1 all the way to Search + +/=.
- Open notifications: Press Shift + Alt + N.
- Switch between set languages: Press Shift + Ctrl + Space.
Web/page browsing Chromebook shortcuts
- Page up: Press Search/Alt + Up.
- Page down: Press Search/Alt + Down.
- Go to the top of the page: Press Ctrl + Alt + Up.
- Go to the bottom of the page: Press Ctrl + Alt + Down.
- Open the History page: Press Ctrl + H.
- Make a Google search: Press Ctrl + K or Ctrl + E.
- Open link in new tab and switch to it: Press Ctrl + Shift and click on a link.
- Switch between windows: Press and hold Alt and press Tab.
- Input “www.” and “.com” to your address bar text: Press Ctrl + Enter.
- Open a new tab: Press Ctrl + T.
- Open a new window: Press Ctrl + N.
- Open Incognito mode: Press Shift + Ctrl + N.
- Close the current tab: Press Ctrl + W.
- Close the current window: Press Shift + Ctrl + W.
- Print the current page: Press Ctrl + P.
- Bookmark the current page: Press Ctrl + D.
Text editing Chromebook shortcut commands
- Caps Lock on/off: Press Alt + Search button.
- Select all: Press Ctrl + A.
- Select content in address bar: Press Ctrl + L or Alt + D.
- Copy highlighted text: Press Ctrl + C.
- Cut highlighted text: Press Ctrl + X.
- Paste text: Paste Ctrl + V.
- Paste plain text: Press Ctrl + Shift + V.
- Undo your last action: Press Ctrl + Z.
- Redo your last action: Press Shift + Ctrl + Z.
How to see all shortcuts on Chromebooks?
Google knows Chromebook shortcuts can be confusing, so it added a hidden guide for you to access.
- See all Chrome OS keyboard shortcuts: Press Ctrl + Alt + / and you will get a virtual keyboard with all available shortcuts.
Read next: The best Android apps for Chromebooks
Chromebook touchpad shortcuts
In addition to Chromebook keyboard shortcuts, you can get a lot of stuff done on a Chromebook touchpad as well. You’re all familiar with the basic gestures of moving the pointer, clicking, and scrolling, but there are a few others as well.
- Move between pages: Swipe left with two fingers to go to a previous page, and swipe right with two fingers to go forward to a page you were just on.
- See all open windows: Either swipe up or down with three fingers.
- Close a tab: Point to a tab and then tap on the touchpad with three fingers.
- Open a link in a new tab: Point to a link and then tap on the touchpad with three fingers.
- Switch between tabs: Swipe left and right with three fingers when you have multiple tabs open.
These Chromebook shortcut keys and touchpad gestures will have you navigating through your computer like a master. Enjoy! And if you need more Chrome OS tutorials or tips, we have a wide selection of guides linked below.