Chromebooks are great at so many things. They’re inexpensive alternatives to laptops, but are primarily cloud-based for extra convenience. This is why they have a reputation for their lack of software options. What if you want to use Skype on a Chromebook? There are a few ways to use Skype on Chromebook, so let’s jump right in and show you how it’s done.
Editor’s tip: New to the world of Chromebooks? Our Chromebook Buyer’s guide helps explain what a Chromebook can and can’t do, your options, and more.
Note: All steps in this tutorial were put together using a Lenovo Chromebook Duet running Chrome OS version 93.0.4577.107. Remember some steps might be slightly different depending on your device and its software version.
How to use Skype on Chromebook using the browser
Chrome OS is all about the web, so using the browser is a simple way to get things done. Here’s how to use Skype for Chromebook via the Chrome browser.
How to use Skype on Chromebook using the browser:
- Open your Chrome browser.
- Navigate to the Skype website.
- Click on the Chat now button.
- Log in using your username (or email account or phone number) and password.
Once you’ve signed in, that’s it. You’re now ready to use Skype to chat with friends, use video, add new contacts, and everything else you usually do — on a Chromebook.
Use the Android app
While Skype isn’t included out of the box, most modern Chromebooks now support Android apps, which means you can fire up the Google Play Store and download it!
How to use Skype on Chromebook using the Android app:
- Head to the Google Play Store and download Skype.
- Click on the Install button.
- Once it’s installed, you should find Skype in the app drawer.
- Open up the app, log in, and you are set!
The Linux app is another great option
The list of Chromebooks that also support Linux apps continues to grow. If yours does, this is likely the best way to get Skype on Chromebook devices. You can get a much better experience, thanks to the desktop-focused design.
How to use Skype on Chromebook using the Linux app:
- Head over to Skype’s download page.
- You’ll see a Get Skype for _____ under the Skype for Desktop section. Click on the downward arrow to see options.
- Select Get Skype for Linux DEB.
- Find the file in your Downloads folder and double-click on it.
- Follow instructions to finish the installation.
- Open the Linux Skype app and sign in.
Don’t forget to check out the links below to learn more about using Chromebooks and our hardware recommendations.