App subscriptions have become a lot more common in recent years, with many Google Play applications offering free trials too. But if you are no longer using your subscription or weren’t impressed by what it had to offer, you can cancel at any time. Not sure how to do that through the app itself? You can head to Google Play instead. Here is how to cancel a subscription on the Play Store.
How to pause a Google Play Store subscription
The first thing you need to know is that canceling is not the only available option. If you are short on cash, in some cases, you can pause payment for a month and continue your subscription on the next. Only some apps offer this, but it’s worth checking if they do. Here is how to do that:
- Open Google Play on your Android phone or tablet.
- Check which account is currently signed in if you are using multiple or sharing the device with family members.
- Tap the menu button in the upper left corner (three lines), followed by Subscriptions.
- Select the subscription you want to pause.
- Tap Manage. If the app offers this option you will see Pause payments. Tap it.
- If you will be able to select the time period you’d like to pause for. All that’s left to do after is tap Confirm.
We should note, however, that your subscriptions will be paused at the end of your current billing period.
How to cancel a Google Play Store subscription
Not satisfied with what your subscription had to offer? Then it’s time to cancel. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open the Google Play Store app and make sure you’re signed into the right account.
- Tap the menu button in the upper left corner, then go to Subscriptions.
- Find the subscription you want to cancel and select it.
- Tap Cancel subscription and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You may be asked to select a reason for the cancellation. Choose one from the options and tap Continue followed by Cancel subscription.
Don’t worry about wasting part of your subscription — you will still be able to use the app for the time period you’ve already paid for or for the remainder of your free trial. The same applies to yearly subscriptions. If you signed up in March, for example, and canceled shortly after, you will still be able to use the application until March 2021. It will not be automatically renewed after that.
What about refunds? Subscription refunds are a bit more complicated than app purchase refunds. Generally, you should be able to get a refund within 48 hours of subscribing. However, you will only receive money for the month you cancelled. You might also need to contact the app developer directly, depending on the subscription service.
How to restart a Google Play Store subscription
Sometimes you many need to pause or cancel subscriptions because they’re not convenient or you’re too busy to take advantage of them. The good news is that restarting them is possible. So, if you’ve recently bought a new Fitbit and want to restart your Fitbit Premium subscription, for example, here is how to do that:
- Once again open the Play Store app and head to the menu.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- If you recently cancelled a subscription or paused it, it will appear on the list. Tap it.
- Select Manage and then Resume. Your subscription will be reactivated immediately.
This is our guide on how to cancel a subscription on the Play Store. If you have other Google Play questions or problems, check out our other how-to guides below.