The AirPods are still turning heads when it comes to true wireless earbuds, but there are plenty of options for those of us who like the idea, but want something with a better seal or aptX support for an Android device. Fortunately, the truly wireless arena is becoming increasingly saturated, granting you the liberty to choose what best suits your needs.
See: Full AirPods alternatives article at SoundGuys
Best all around: RHA TrueConnect
Reasons to consider the RHA TrueConnect:
- The RHA TrueConnect operates via Bluetooth 5.0.
- The IPX5 water-resistant earbuds provide a stable fit.
- Angled nozzles and Comply memory foam ear tips effectively isolate listeners from external noise.
- Comprehensive onboard controls.
- USB Type-C fast charge enabled.
Best noise cancelling: Sony WF-SP700N
Reasons to consider the Sony WF-SP700N:
- Digital noise cancellation can be toggled with the Sony WF-SP700N.
- IPX4 water-resistance.
- AAC support for lag-free iPhone listening.
- Customization via the Sony app.
Best lookalike: Mobvoi TicPods Free
Reasons to consider the Mobvoi TicPods Free:
- Consumer-friendly sound signature with bass emphasis.
- Active noise cancellation.
- Reliable true wireless connectivity.
- AAC support.
Best design: Master & Dynamic MW07
Reasons to consider the Master & Dynamic MW07:
- IPX4 water-resistant earbuds.
- Premium construction with handmade acetate housings and a stainless steel charging case.
- Stable fit.
- Great sound quality, beryllium dynamic drivers, and aptX support.
Best value: JLab JBuds Air
Reasons to consider the JLab JBuds Air:
- IP55 dust and water resistance.
- The best cheap true wireless earbuds around.
- Stable fit due to proprietary Cush Fins that wrap around the earbuds.
What you should know about the best AirPods alternatives
- Wireless audio doesn’t compare to the sound quality of wired options yet, but there are still certain codecs to keep an eye on depending on your operating system. iPhone users should use AAC-supporting earbuds and Android users should go for aptX.
- Isolation is absolutely key to accurate sound reproduction. If the ingress of external noise is allowed, it will mask certain frequencies and degrade audio quality.
- Generally speaking, connectivity isn’t as good with true wireless earbuds as it is with traditionally wireless earbuds, same goes for battery life.
Related: Don’t use AirPods with Android
Why you should trust SoundGuys
SoundGuys is our sister site specializing in all things audio. Each of the writers has kept pace with the changing audio world and its standards for years. What’s more, SoundGuys respects that audio is both an objective and subjective experience and applies that philosophy to each of its reviews and tests, including the best headphones with Google Assistant integration.
Next: Amazon pre-Black Friday