Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
The new Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 have been the talk of the Android town this week, with the Nexus 9 going on sale and the Nexus 6 remaining very hard to get, at least from Google’s Play Store. Our review of the Nexus 9 went up this week, but it wasn’t the only review going live: the new Moto X, HUAWEI’s massive Mate 7, and Sony’s Xperia Z3 Compact received the same treatment. On the software front, large updates hit Calendar, Maps and a few other Google apps. We’ve heard the first credible rumors about the Galaxy S6, due next February. Finally, Motorola made the rumored global version of the Droid Turbo a reality.
Welcome to Android Authority this week.
Check out Jayce’s take on the events of this week:
Inside AA HQ
It was a relatively quiet week at AA HQ, but that doesn’t mean we haven’t worked hard to bring you top-notch Android news, features, and reviews. Our cracking video team deserves a shoutout in particular – the work of Josh, Joe, Kevin, Jayce, and Lanh made Android Authority one of the most watched technology channels on YouTube. We’re very close to one million subscribers now, and we’ll celebrate the big milestone with a sweet giveaway, so keep an eye out!
We have a few new guys joining the team – besides Eric, whom we introduced last week, Matthew Benson and Jimmy Westenberg will be bringing you their perspective on the world of Android. As always, feel free to say hello!
The Nexus 6 is coming next week and Josh is all over it. Expect an in-depth review and close looks at all of its features.
We’re giving a Nexus 9 away this week! Check out our international giveaway here.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here some other interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Review: This is the one you’ve been waiting for – our Nexus 9 review
- Review: Check out our impressions of one of the nicest Android devices out there, the Moto X
- Review: It may not be the best known flagship, but the Ascend Mate 7 is likely one of the most impressive
- Roundup: Buying a cheap phone this shopping season? Here are some of the best ones
- Analysis: We know that Samsung is losing ground, but who is winning? Simon Hill looks at the contenders
- Must know: These are the apps that sap your battery and overload your processor
- Explainer: Lots of devices are coming out with fast charging – Rob Triggs explains the tech
Top news of the week
Here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Nexus 9 and Nexus 6
- Google says more Nexus 6 units coming ‘each Wednesday’
- Google posts Android 5.0 “LRX21L” factory image for the Nexus 9
- UK Nexus 6 pre-orders could start on November 18th
- As part of new HTCpromo, get the Nexus 9 for just $199 today only!
- Nexus 6 coming soon to 12 new countries, via Google Play store
- WTF: Google sells out of Wednesday’s Nexus 6 units near-instantly
- You can now pre-order the Nexus 6 directly from Motorola!
Google apps updates
- Inbox gets a new update, adds a few minor changes
- Gmail 5.0 is rolling out to Google Play, grab the APK now! (update)
- Google Calendar getting Material redesign and smart new features
- Google Maps 9 is here: Material touches and Uber and OpenTable integration
- Google Calendar 5.0 now available for download
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: