And so, this week of thanks giving and deals hunting is coming to an end. The news-scape was dominated by Black Friday deals from retailers small and large, and we did our best to highlight the most interesting ones. But it wasn’t all deals: reports emerged about Samsung’s plan to restructure its business, after smaller than anticipated Galaxy S5 sales and fierce competition took their toll on the Korean giant’s profits; we learned more about the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9, and their carrier variants; we discussed the EU Parliament’s resolution to break up Google; we looked at another troubled giant, Sony; we learned about OnePlus plans in India; and brought you some inside info about LG’s curved G Flex 2.
Welcome to Android Authority this week.
Inside AA HQ
It’s been an amazing year for Android Authority, and while many of you don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, I think it’s a good time to say a huge THANK YOU! to each and every one of you. It’s such a cliché, but it’s entirely true: we wouldn’t be here without you, our readers. We wouldn’t get to talk about and play with the world’s most exciting technology without your support. Not to mention, make a living out of it! So, on behalf of everyone here, thanks for making our dream jobs possible!
1 million subscribers on YouTube!
We did it! When we started the channel almost 4 years ago, we never in a million years (no pun intended!) thought that we would have reached a million subscribers. We couldn’t have done it without our great team and you guys, the fans. We listen to each and every comment and are continuously trying to improve our product. Thanks so much everyone.
To celebrate hitting the 1 million YouTube subscribers mark we have a ton of prizes this week that we are giving away which include a Nexus 6 & 9, Sennheiser Momentum headphones, Creative Sound blaster Roar Bluetooth Speaker, 25 Android Authority T-shirts and 25 AA sticker packs. If you are one of our 1 million subscribers head on over to the giveaway page and get your entry in.
With the holiday season officially open, we’re working on completing our best device roundups and putting out gift guides for every pocket. Keep an eye out for them next week.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here some interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Roundup: AT&T client? These are the best smartphones you can get on your network
- Tech talk: Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 810 dev board gives us a glimpse at 2015’s devices
- Review: Under marketed, but certainly not underpowered – Lanh looks at Sony’s SmartWatch 3
- Review: Straight out of China, the OneTouch Hero 8 is a very interesting device
- Tech talk: Gary looks at the key differences between ARM’s and Intel’s chip platforms
- Comparison: Battle of the titans: Josh compares the mighty Note 4 and Nexus 6
- Vox populi: In our most recent Friday Debate we look at the most egregious gimmicks of the year
Top news of the week
Here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Nexus 6 and 9
- Looking to fix your AT&T-branded Nexus 6? Here’s how to fix the top 6 problems
- T-Mobile is excited to announce its Nexus 6 has no branding or bloat
- iFixit teardown gives us a better look at the Nexus 6
- Report: Nexus 9 hardware revision fixes button issues, potentially other problems
Black Friday deals
- Nvidia Shield tablet and portable bundles will offer exceptional value this Black Friday
- The 110+ best Black Friday deals!
- HTC offering the RE Camera for 50% off on Black Friday
- Google is offering select movies up to 75% off in the Play Store with early Black Friday deals
- Save big with these Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals from Monoprice
- Best Black Friday smartphone and tablet deals
- Amazon Fire Phone now just $200 without contract
- Motorola announces huge sale for the Moto X (2014) on Cyber Monday
- Best Black Friday Audio Deals
- Play Store deal: $50 in Play credit for Nexus 6/9 and smartwatches, Chromecast for $25, G Watch for $99
- Samsung has sold 40% fewer Galaxy S5 units than it had anticipated – WSJ
- Samsung said to be planning a major restructure of its mobile division
- Samsung may be planning to replace its head of mobile division
- Samsung to buyback $2 billion worth of shares to stabilize its share price
Google’s EU troubles
Sony in search of profit
- OnePlus to open its first retail store in Beijing
- The OnePlus One won’t get Cyanogenmod updates in India
G Flex 2 is coming
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: