Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week - August 2, 2015
Android fans, this week brought us not one, but two excellent smartphones selling for just $400, the OnePlus 2 and the Moto X Style. In other top news, the Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge Plus leaked extensively, details and images of Sony’s next smartphones surfaced, and Google rebooted Android One with the new Lava Pixel V1.
Inside AA HQ
It’s clear from the events of this week that the next battleground for smartphone domination is the $400 price range. While phones like the Axon, Zenfone 2, and even the OnePlus 2 are important, when Motorola entered the fray with its own no-compromise flagship phone, the game has changed for good. It will be very interesting to see how Samsung, LG, or HTCreact to this paradigm shift over the next months.
We have a new team member! Krystal has published her first review on Thursday and the reactions have been very positive. Yes, AA finally has a woman in the team, but we’re happy to see that you guys like Krystal’s tech knowledge and video editing skills. Let Krystal’s AA video be the first of many.
This week’s giveaway is a beautifully slim OPPO R7. Head over here to get your ticket and good luck!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: It’s a brand new phone hitting the US, and it’s affordable: but is the Axon worth your money/
- Comparison: Has the Moto X Style stolen OnePlus 2’s thunder?
- Comparison: Moto X Style, OnePlus 2, or Axon: which is the better value for money?
- Review: Krystal takes a look at the Meizu MX 5
- Feature: Should you buy the OnePlus 2? Nirave weighs in
- Feature: Go down the memory lane, with Rob, as he looks at smartphone performance over the years
Top news of the week
OnePlus 2 is here
- OnePlus 2 officially announced: everything you need to know
- OnePlus 2 hands-on and first impressions
- OnePlus 2 vs OnePlus One – the battle of the “flagship killers”
- OnePlus 2 vs the competition: by the numbers
- OnePlus 2 StyleSwap cover hands-on comparison, availability and more
- OnePlus 2 vs Samsung Galaxy S6 quick look
Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge Plus
- It’s official – Samsung Unpacked 2015 is taking place this August 13th
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 leaked in much clearer set of photos
- The Galaxy S6 Edge+ might have 4GB of RAM… does it need it?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 leaked images show front, software and stylus release method
- Report: Samsung to promote the S6 Edge Plus ahead of the Note 5
- Galaxy Note 5 major specs and press image revealed by @evleaks
Xperia M5 and C5 leak
- Xperia C5 Ultra will have bezel-free display
- Sony teases new phone to launch on August 3rd
- Sony Xperia M5 and C5 Ultra leak in high-res photos ahead of official announcement
New Android One
Moto X Style and Play
- Moto G (3rd Gen) hands-on and first impressions
- Moto G (3rd gen) announced: everything you need to know
- Moto X Style hands-on and first impressions
- Moto X Style announced: 5.7-inch Quad HD, Snapdragon 808 and a whole lot of style
- Moto X Style vs Play: what’s the difference?
- Moto X Play announced: great specs, budget-friendly pricing
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: