Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: You're looking forward to these phones in 2021
There’s a lot to look forward to in the new year, and that includes smartphones. But which ones are likely to get the most buzz? We asked you about your most anticipated phones of 2021, and the results were at once what you’d expect as well as a little surprising — particularly at the high end.
Which flagship phones are you most looking forward to in 2021?
Which budget phones are you most looking forward to in 2021?
It won’t surprise you to hear that Samsung’s Galaxy S21 is your most anticipated flagship phone of 2021, with 17.7% of the vote among top-tier devices. However, it only barely claimed the lead. Google’s Pixel 6 (16.7%) and Sony’s Xperia 1 III (16.3%) were hot on the S21’s heels, and the OnePlus 9 (13.2%) wasn’t far behind. You’re not particularly picky about your premium hardware, then.
Related: The best Android camera phones
The results for budget phones were decidedly more lopsided. It probably won’t shock you to hear that Google’s Pixel 5a is clearly the most anticipated budget phone of 2021, with a hefty 40.7% of the vote. The poll wasn’t even close — Samsung’s Galaxy A52 garnered ‘just’ 26% of votes, while a sequel to the OnePlus Nord only earned 16.4% of your hype.
The front-runners, at least, were somewhat predictable. Samsung often sets the standard for high-end phones at the start of the year, and the Pixel 4a‘s strong showing almost certainly helped its successor’s chances. It’s the rest that were wildcards. Many vendors beyond Samsung and Google have a harder time courting enthusiasts, and it’s no mean feat for Sony to reach the upper echelons despite its much smaller presence in the mobile world.
- Eszklar: Galaxy Fold 3 and Microsoft Duo 2 (if MS does decide to do [a] 2nd Gen.)
- EspHack: …Duo 2? LG’s rollable? Mate X 2? It shocks me how apparently everyone just wants to see more of the same
- MM_Rafez: Wanted to vote for Note 21 Ultra desperately but no option. Mate 50 is there but no Note 21 Ultra, NOT FAIR.
- Tony Talks: Only really interested in Pixels if they bother to significantly upgrade the hardware. Otherwise, happy with iOS currently.
- D9: I voted for the Samsung Galaxy S21 series, but I also have a strong interest in the Pixel 6 if Google doesn’t nerf the hell out of it again this year, as with the Pixel 5.
- DBS: None of those. The phone I’m most looking forward to is whatever Android flagship that copies the size of the iPhone 12 Mini. ‘Cause that’s the only one I will consider buying.
That’s all for these results. Thanks for your vote! Do you have a different pick for the most anticipated phone of 2021? Was there a phone we missed? Please let us know in the comments.