Search results for

All search results
Best daily deals

Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.

Should LG let users remap the G7's Google Assistant button? (Poll of the Week)

Do you think LG should let users remap the G7 ThinQ's Google Assistant button?

Published onMay 7, 2018

Last week’s poll summary: Out of over 3,100 total votes, 57 percent of voters said they’d prefer a 3.5mm headphone jack over stereo front-facing speakers. The remaining 43 percent said they would rather have front-facing speakers over a headphone jack. Across our other social media platforms, the numbers were very similar. 64 percent of YouTube voters want a headphone jack over front speakers, 60 percent of Twitter voters prefer the headphone jack, and 61 percent of Instagram voters said the same. I think we have a clear winner here.

When rumors came about that LG was going to include a dedicated AI button on the LG G7 ThinQ, the tech world cringed. We’ve been saying over and over again that one of the most annoying parts of Samsung’s flagships is the dedicated Bixby button, which is more of a nuisance than a benefit for many people. But to our surprise, the G7’s extra button actually turned out to be a dedicated Google Assistant button.

Remappable buttons are a must-have feature
most controversial apps featured image

This is great news. Google Assistant is already a very popular product. Plus, LG creating its own AI assistant and including a dedicated hardware button to summon it just sounds like the same thing Samsung went through with the Galaxy S8.

There is one problem, though — the G7’s Assistant button can only be used to summon Google Assistant. That means you’re out of luck if you aren’t an Assistant user.

Do you think LG should let users remap the G7 ThinQ’s Assistant button? Just think of the possibilities! You could set it to open up the camera app, your favorite messaging app, or any other app your heart desires. LG did tell us that it might let users remap the button in the future, but only if there’s enough interest. So here’s your chance — cast your vote in the poll below, and speak up in the comments if there’s anything you’d like to add.

You might like