Say what you will about Apple, but there is no denying it did a good job with Siri. It continues to be one of the most popular digital assistants, and it’s also among the most robust. Those new to this AI tool are probably wondering which Siri commands can be helpful, and today we are here to give you some ideas. Here is a list of the best Siri commands you can use on your Apple devices.
The best Siri commands:
Editor’s note: The amount of available Siri commands is astounding. We don’t want to bore you with a complete list. Instead, we are focusing on the ones we believe will be the most helpful to you.
What is Siri?
Let’s start with some basic information for those who might be new to Siri or the Apple ecosystem. Siri is an AI (artificial intelligence) digital assistant which can help with a variety of tasks. These include getting general information, sending messages, making calls, taking notes, playing music, navigating and much more.
Siri can be used through text or voice commands. It comes installed in Apple platforms like iOS, MacOS, iPadOS, tvOS, watchOS, and HomePod.
Hey, Siri. Are you listening?
Digital assistants are commonly activated with trigger words, and Siri is no exception. If you want Siri to start listening, simply say the words “Hey, Siri.” Then simply say your Siri command out loud.
There are other methods for getting Siri’s attention. iPhone users can press and hold the home button. Newer iPhones have no home buttons, so activating Siri can be done by pressing and holding the side button. You can double-tap AirPods to activate Siri. On Apple Watches, you can press and hold the digital crown. The process is a little different with each device. “Hey, Siri” always works, though!
Best Siri commands for phone management
- Call [name].
- Text [name].
- FaceTime [name]
- Send an email to [name].
- Check my voicemails.
- Read my messages.
- Open [app].
- Take a picture.
- Take a selfie.
- Turn on/off Wi-Fi. (Or any other setting).
- Lower/increase volume to [percentage].
- Mute my phone.
Best Siri commands for information
- What time is it?
- What’s today’s date?
- Tell me about today’s weather.
- Is it raining?
- How is traffic today?
- What is the etymology of [word]?
- How much is gas right now?
- Tell me a synonym for [word].
- How do you say [word] in [language]?
- What is the definition of [word]?
- How much is [amount and currency] in [currency]?
- When is [holiday]?
- How many kilograms is a pound?
- Search for [search query].
- How many meters are in a mile? (These conversions can be asked for weight, volume, distance, etc.).
- What is 1+1? (Or any other math problem).
- Is [business name] open right now?
- When is sunrise?
- What is Barack Obama’s height?
- When is sunset?
- What time is it in [location]?
- Show me [food type] recipes.
- How do I make [drink/food name]?
- How many calories are in [food/drink name]?
- What is in the news?
Best Siri commands for productivity
- Set a timer for [time duration].
- Wake me up at [time].
- Set an alarm for [time]. (You can also specify days of the week).
- What alarms do I have?
- Set an appointment with [name] at [time].
- Cancel appointment with [name] at [time].
- What appointments do I have today (or any other day).
- Remind me to [reminder] at [time and date].
Best Siri commands for navigation and traveling
- Take me home.
- What’s traffic like on my way to [location].
- Take me to [location].
- Where is [location/business]?
- What’s my ETA? (When navigating).
- Where is the nearest [location/business]?
- What is the weather like in [location]?
- Check status of [airline and flight number].
- How do I get to [location] by [mode of transportation]?
Best commands for entertainment
- Is [movie] playing around me?
- Did the [sports team] win?
- Tell me the scores for the [sports teams] match.
- What is the synopsis of [movie]?
- Play [song].
- Stop this song.
- Skip this song.
- Play more songs like this one.
- After this, play [song].
- Play my playlist.
Best Siri commands for smart home users
Keep in mind the following Siri commands are for those who use HomeKit and have smart home products. These are purchased separately and require a more complex set-up.
- Turn the lights on/off.
- What is the temperature in [room name]?
- Turn the [room name] lights on/off.
- Lock/unlock the [room name] door.
- Turn the kettle on/off.
- Set the temperature to [degrees].
- Is the [room name] door locked?
Best funny Siri commands
Just for kicks and giggles!
- Tell me a joke.
- Knock knock.
- What does the fox say?
- Why did the chicken cross the road?
- What are you wearing?
- Talk dirty to me.
- Will you marry me?
- Do you have a boyfriend?
- Blue pill or red pill?
- Is winter coming?
- What is the meaning of life?
The best secret commands
Then there are the silly Siri commands that are actually helpful.
- Flip a coin.
- Roll a die.
- What is [Twitter handle] saying on Twitter?
- Find nearby friends.
- Show me photos with [name].
- What can you do?