Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – October 25, 2015
Android fans, HTCwas in the spotlight this week, though not just for good reasons. The Taiwanese company’s new A9 looks great, but it’s a little too familiar for some tastes. In other news, we heard a credible rumor about the release of the Galaxy S7; we brought you our initial impressions of the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P; Google released a couple of big updates; the BlackBerry Priv finally went up for pre-order; YouTube Red and YouTube Music launched; we got another look at the Droid Turbo; and Samsung launched the Galaxy On5 and On7.
Inside AA HQ
Android fans, on October 21, 2015, the future has finally arrived. We don’t have hoverboards just yet, but what we carry in our pockets every day is just as amazing. As Doc Brown himself put it, the “future” is different from what we all thought, but that’s a good thing. When it comes to mobile technology, Nirave did a good job highlighting the absolutely massive leaps that the phone industry made in just one decade. Think about that the next time you feel the urge to complain about your device. And think about where we will be ten years from now.
The results of our blind camera shootout between the Xperia Z5, Galaxy Note 5, LG G4, and the iPhone 6S has caused a huge stir. Yes, the iPhone 6S won on an Android site, and the Apple blogosphere rejoiced. For us, the takeaway here is that Apple is still better at giving most users what they actually want from their cameras, and that should be food for thought for the Android OEMs that are still too fixated on raw specs. The other takeaway? Expect more camera shootouts in the future!
This Halloween, share your data horror story and stand to win a Nexus 6P, Galaxy Note 5, or Xperia Z5 from our friends at Opera. Enter the giveaway here!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: Gary reviews the smallest member of the Xperia Z5 family
- Editorial: Delays are okay, lack of communication is not, Andrew tells Saygus
- How to: Here’s what you need to know to make the most of USB OTG
- Feature: Specs, specs, specs! On our unhealthy obsession with specs
- Review: It’s not Android, but it’s still a great smartwatch – Samsung Gear S2 review
Top news of the week
Galaxy S7 release date?
HTC One A9 is here
- HTC One A9 officially announced: everything you need to know
- HTC One A9 first impressions: trying some new things
- HTC One A9 vs Nexus 5X vs Moto X Style vs ZTE Axon: specs comparison
- HTC CEO: Our new smartphone will be good enough to replace the iPhone
- Unlocked HTCOne A9: software upgrades within 15 days of every Nexus update
- HTC One A9 availability – what we know so far
- HTC executive is not amused: “It’s Apple that copies us.”
All things Google
- You can now become a beta tester for the Google app on Android
- Google Maps now makes pit stops easier, also adds gas pricing
- Here’s how Verified Boot warnings look in Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Google tightens its OEM requirements for new Marshmallow devices
- New look Google Play Store begins hitting devices
Priv is for priviledge
YouTube Red & Music
Here comes the Droid Turbo
Galaxy On5 and On7
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.