Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – October 11, 2015
Android fans, this week was all about Marshmallow. Google released Android 6.0 factory images for its Nexus lineup and kicked off a delightfully problem-free (so far) OTA rollout. All eyes are now on manufacturers – some, like Sony, have already come clean about the devices they plan to update to Marshmallow, while in the case of others, we have rumors and speculation. In other news, OnePlus began teasing the OnePlus X, amid increasing skepticism about its business model; Sony gave itself an ultimatum to fix its mobile business; the One A9 leaked again; and the Paranoid Android project was revealed to be all but dead.
Inside AA HQ
This week we began our little experiment with live broadcasting, and we’re happy to say we had some great reactions. Nirave unboxed his Xperia Z5 live on Periscope, and it’s just the beginning: expect more unboxings, Q&As, AMAs, and event impressions in the future. What’s all the fuss about? Sign up for Periscope and follow us to find out.
What’s coming up? HTC’s “hero smartphone” (which just leaked, again) is coming October 20. OnePlus wants a second chance with the OnePlus X, possibly coming as soon as next week. And, of course, the Nexus 5X and 6P are going to ship really soon. Stay tuned for our coverage.
Speaking of Nexus phones, this week we’re giving you the chance to win a Nexus 5X! Enter our giveaway to secure your sweepstakes ticket.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Feature: Is the Nexus 5X worth its money? Simon lays down the arguments
- Impressions: Nirave bought a new iPhone (gasp!), and these are his impressions
- How to: Get the most of the Moto X Style (Pure) with these tips and tricks
- Review: Zuk Z1: it’s a brand new phone running Cyanogen OS, but how good is it?
- Comparison: The best of Android vs Apple: Galaxy S6 compared to the Phone 6S
- Tips: Android newbies, check out the top things you need to try on your Android device
Top news of the week
Marshmallow has landed…
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow factory images arrive for Nexus 5, 6, 7 (2013), 9 and Player
- How to manually install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on a Nexus device (Windows and Linux)
- The Android 6.0 Marshmallow Easter egg is another Flappy Bird-style game, with a twist
- (Update: OTA links for 8 devices) Marshmallow landing on Android One phones
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow – New features explained
…And now the wait begins
- Sony announces devices that will get Marshmallow, Xperia Z1 left out
- Which T-Mobile phones will get Android 6.0 Marshmallow?
- Check out Sony’s Marshmallow beta for Xperia Z3
- Marshmallow heading to the HTCOne M8 GPE this month
- Samsung is working on Marshmallow for these devices
- First Nexus 4 Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM already up
OnePlus: all eyes on the X
- A second coming: Is OnePlus going to launch a Mini too?
- Is OnePlus done? What next for the “Flagship Killer?”
- New OnePlus phone hits the FCC, may arrive as the OnePlus X
Sony: change is afoot
- Sony to hand over more control to its profitable image sensor business
- Sony weighing up options if smartphones are unprofitable next year
Look, it’s the One A9
Paranoid Android – RIP?
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.