Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – July 19, 2015
Hello Android fans, this week brought us the release of the Galaxy A8 and the cool new Axon phone, and a bevy of hot rumors about the real stars of this summers: Galaxy Note 5, OnePlus 2, and the new Moto X. The Galaxy Note 5 and the S6 Edge Plus are now rumored to launch on August 12, and a series of renders gives us a good idea of what to expect. ZTE introduced the Axon in the United States, and we were actually impressed by the solid specs and cheap price. Motorola scheduled an event for July 28, where we expect to see the new Moto G and Moto X. More details about the HUAWEI Nexus leaked, we got a look at the Turing phone, and HTCintroduced several new devices in the United States. Finally, Cortana for Android leaked ahead of launch.
Inside AA HQ
We had two product launches this week in New York (Axon and HTCDesire), that Darcy and Lanh attended, but all in all, our virtual HQ was pretty quiet this week. That’s not because we’re all in vacation… it’s just that we’re working on some long term projects, that are not quite ready to be announced.
Luckily, things are a bit livelier on the general Android front, thanks in large part to Samsung’s apparent decision to move up the launch of the Galaxy Note 5. Check our Galaxy Note 5 rumor roundup, and while you’re at it, have a look at the OnePlus 2 rumor roundup as well. And stay tuned for more rumors as we get them!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: Is the One M9+ HTC’s real flagship? Find out in the review
- Review: Bailey reviews LG’s mid-ranger Escape 2
- Opinion: Just how important are microSD and removable batteries for you?
- Guide: Your privacy is increasingly at risk. Here are a few simple steps to protect it
- Feature: HUAWEI and Google are teaming up, But why?
- Review: It may not be the big step we were hoping for, but the Xperia Z3+ is a compelling device
- Feature: Chinese phone brands are taking over the market. Here’s a primer on some of the biggest
Top news of the week
Galaxy A8 is official
Galaxy Note 5 and Edge Plus rumors
- Galaxy Note 5, S6 Edge Plus coming August 12, launch August 14/21 – Report
- (Update: 4GB of RAM) Report reveals Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Note 5 specs
- Here’s a look at a Galaxy S6 Edge Plus dummy unit
- (Update: T-Mobile, UScellular too) Galaxy Note 5, S6 Edge+ pass through FCC, Verizon and AT&T variants in-tow
Check out the ZTE Axon
- ZTE Axon officially announced: what you need to know
- Hands-on with the ZTE Axon
- ZTE Axon vs the competition
- ZTE Axon vs Samsung Galaxy S6 quick look
- ZTE Axon vs LG G4 quick look
Next Moto X and Moto G
- Leaked image shows off what’s supposedly the new Moto X, Moto G and DROID devices
- Motorola’s Moto G 2015 will be customizable through Moto Maker, according to new leak
- Moto G (2015) leaks in real-life images
- Motorola holding events in London and NYC on July 28
- Motorola Moto X (2015) shows off its backside in new leaked image
Turing Phone: security in and out
OnePlus 2 rumors
- OnePlus Two camera details revealed by MKBHD
- This is the OnePlus 2’s improved invite system
- OnePlus 2 to be dual-SIM, perhaps with microSD slot as well
- HTC Desire 626 quick look and hands on
- HTC announces super affordable Desire 626, Desire 626s, Desire 526 and Desire 520
Cortana for Android
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: