We’ve had a little bit of everything in the world of Android this week. Samsung surprised naysayers with a speedy Lollipop update kickoff for the Galaxy S5. Google pushed out a minor update to Nexus devices, bringing the software revision to Android 5.0.1. The two-face YotaPhone 2 finally made its actual debut, and we brought you our impressions of it. Some tantalizing rumors about Samsung’s and HTC’s upcoming flagships surfaced. And Google pushed out interesting updates to Messenger, News, and YouTube.
Here’s Jayce take on the events of the week!
Inside AA HQ
Just minutes before we published last week’s edition, the subscriber counter on AA’s YouTube channel hit the magic figure – one million subscribers. We celebrated with our nicest giveaway yet. And, on Thursday, we live-streamed our celebratory hangout, starring all the video guys, plus Feisty from the writing team, and of course, our fearless leaders, Darcy and Derek. You can check it out here, in case you missed it and you want to get to know us better.
Speaking of live streaming, it’s been a while since AA hosted a podcast/hangout show, but our absence from the scene will come to an end… eventually. We’re debating the best ways to move forward and bring you an Android podcast that’s above and beyond other podcasts out there. For now, we’re just considering our options – let us know if you’d like an AA podcast or if you have any ideas for the format.
This week, we had the kick off call with our developer crack team, where we laid out the roadmap for the big update coming to the AA Android app. We’re excited: this app will blow the old one out of the water in terms of functionality, and yes, it will be Material Design.
It’s Sunday, so another giveaway is coming your way. This time we’ve teamed up with ZTE to bring you two Sprint Pocket Wifi hotspots along with six months of shared data. Enter the sweepstakes here.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here are some interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Review: It looks like a tiny periscope, and it’s HTC’s big bid to enter the camera market. But is the Re Camera any good?
- Hands-on: Josh looks at one of the nicest perks of buying an Xperia Z3: PS4 Remote Play
- Feature: Next time someone asks why choose Android, show them this piece by Simon
- How-to: Here’s what you need to do before selling or giving your Android device away
- Feature: Robert looks at the shifting Android version landscape over the past two years
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Samsung Lollipop updates
- French carrier: Lollipop Galaxy S5 update in December, Note 4 in January
- Video: Android 5.0 Lollipop running on the Galaxy Note 4
- Android 5.0 Lollipop update reportedly rolling out to Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F)
- Android 5.0.1 Lollipop hits AOSP, Nexus factory images available
- First OTA files for Android 5.0.1 Lollipop available for download
- YotaPhone 2 announced: hands-on pics & video
- YotaPhone 2 already reviewed by Russian tech site
- YotaPhone 2 hands on and first impressions
Galaxy S6 Edge
The next HTC One
- HTC One (M9) specs rumored, include 5.5-inch display, no UltraPixel camera
- Here are the specs of HTC next flagship, according to @upleaks
- Google Messenger update rolling out, custom colors and smoother animations
- Google News & Weather gets dark theme, search, and pretty graphs
- YouTube update rolling out, brings Material Design and more
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: