This late summer is hotter than anticipated, and we couldn’t be happier. The week before IFA brought us sneak peeks at smartwatches coming from Samsung, Motorola, Huawei, and LG. We’ve spotted the “Moto X Play for USA” a.k.a. the Droid Maxx 2. More details leaked out about the Huawei- and LG-made Nexus. The BlackBerry Venice revealed itself from all angles. We’ve got a glimpse of the Xperia Z5. And “Pengate” flared up, before predictably fading away into the annals of ridiculous tech scandals.
Inside AA HQ
Tickets have been reserved, accommodation has been arranged, meetings have been scheduled. IFA 2015 is coming and Android Authority will be all over it! This year, we’re sending a bigger team to Berlin, even though Samsung, the usual star of the show, decided to jump the gun.
Even without a new Note, there’s a lot of hot stuff to look forward to next week, from Sony’s latest Xperia(s), to a bevy of Android Wear smartwatches, and Huawei’s new Mate flagship. Josh Vergara, Lanh Nguyen, and Nirave Gondhia will be there, accompanied by yours truly. The show starts on Thursday, but all the good stuff will probably be announced the day before. Stay tuned!
Our reviews of some of the most anticipated phones of this year are progressing nicely. We’ve already brought you our look at the OnePlus 2, and our Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus reviews, from Josh and Lanh, are coming very soon!
This week, we have an extra giveaway for our loyal readers! We’ve teamed up with Huawei to give out three Honor 7’s. And don’t forget about our beloved Sunday Giveaway: today, we’re giving away an Oppo R7 Plus (and a selfie stick!). Good luck!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Feature: Marshmallow is awesome, but it’s not perfect. Here are some ways it could be better
- Opinion: The S6 Edge Plus does not impress Matt – see the reasons here
- Review: Flagship killer or not, the OnePlus 2 is one exciting phone. Read our review
- Review: Affordable phones don’t have to feel cheap, and the Honor 7 is the latest example
- Opinion: The time of the $700 flagship seems to be coming to an end, but don’t count it out yet
- Roundup: School is coming, and these apps will help you stay on top of it
- Roundup: Know your ZOPO from your VIVO: 10 other Chinese brands you need to know about
Top news of the week
Smartwatches are coming
- Motorola, LG, ASUS and Huawei reportedly introducing new Android Wear watches at IFA
- (Update 2: two new photos!) Moto 360 (2nd gen) spotted in the wild
- Samsung Gear S2 hits the FCC suggesting two models, a standard and classic
- Huawei Watch up for pre-order: pricey, coming soon, potentially with iOS support
- Samsung executive teases Gear S2 smartwatch
Droid Maxx reborn
Next Nexus news
- (Update: some specs) Huawei Nexus leaks again in hands-on pictures
- LG’s Nexus 5 (2015) could be available from September 29, claims Korean website
- These could be the specifications for the new LG Nexus 5
BB Venice leaks some more
- BlackBerry Venice will come with BB10 features
- Exposed: The BlackBerry Venice caught from all angles
Don’t stick it backwards
- PSA: Reverse insertion of the S-Pen will break the Galaxy Note 5’s stylus detection sensor
- Pengate blues? Video shows how to safely get the Note 5 S Pen out
Xperia Z5 press images
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.