Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
5 Android apps you shouldn't miss this week! - Android Apps Weekly
- Google removed over 700,000 apps from the Google Play Store in 2017. The biggest reason was the violation of the Play Store’s policies. 250,00 were for copyright reasons. Many were due to security concerns like the AdultSwing malware. Additionally, Google removed 99% of the problem apps before anyone installed them. Good job Google! Thank you for keeping us safe.
- Google also launched its Google Assistant Go app this week. It follows the trend of other Go apps. The app is mostly for low end devices with lesser specs. It is missing some features compared to the full version, such as reminders, hands-free activation, and a few others. Still, it’s a way to get Assistant into the hands of people with less powerful devices.
- Tekken Mobile soft launched in Canada this week. The hype for this one is pretty incredible with over 1.5 million pre-registrations so far. We also learned about more release dates along with the soft launch. The game should launch around February 15th in Europe and in the U.S. on March 1st. This is probably going to be a candidate for game of the year.
- YouTube TV continues its fervent march this week. They released official apps for Apple TV and Roku this week. This is a valuable release for the company. It brings them closer to parity with several Internet TV services. The apps reportedly work pretty well as well. YouTube TV’s biggest weakness is lack of platform support. They closed that door a little bit this week with these releases.
- Nintendo confirmed a mobile Mario Kart this week. Unfortunately, there aren’t many details about it right now except its name: Mario Kart Tour. The announcement came from a Tweet back on January 31st. The tweet also mentioned a release date sometime in the next fiscal year. Nintendo released both premium (pay once) and freemium apps before. This release could go either way. Either way, consider us hyped.
For even more Android apps and games news, releases, and updates, check out this week’s newsletter by clicking here! You can subscribe with the form below to get the newsletter every week!
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, releases, or updates, tell us about them in the comments! Check back next week for more!