October 31, 2011
1

Japanese glass manufacturer Nippon Electric Glass recently unveiled its latest creation, a type of glass that is transparent enough that you actually might think there is nothing there in front of your naked eye.

The glass substrate, dubbed as the “invisible glass” was recently announced and exhibited at the FPD International convention in Yokohoma, Japan.

What makes the so called “invisible glass” achieve near-invisibility is that it does not reflect light, thus reducing glare. The ordinary type of glass reflects about 8 percent of light while the remaining 92 percent passes directly through the glass itself.

The glass constructed by Nippon is designed to have over 30 layers of specially made film on each of its sides measuring in sheer nanometers. Nippon’s Invisible Glass was able to pass 99.5 percent of light and only 0.5 percent is reflected, making it achieve the invisible look.

Ordinary glass on the left, invisible glass on the right.

Although there are still no reports on when the Invisible Glass will be made available for consumers, it is likely that when the product is released, we could expect to see great changes when it comes to technological advancement. The Invisible Glass would redefine the industry, as it could be used on many technological devices such as computer monitors, tablets, mobile phones, laptops, and the like.  Many equipment manufacturers would want to adopt anti-glare technology, especially those that produce devices that heavily rely on the use of glass in their design.

Paul Nuñal
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.
Show 1 comments