Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
The best upcoming Android phones in 2023 and beyond
There’s no shortage of powerful smartphones to go around (we have a list of the best phones here), but it’s our nature to wonder what’s ahead. What could be in the works for the rest of 2023 and beyond? Let’s talk about the hottest upcoming Android phones. We’ll mainly focus on devices that will likely be released in the next year or two, to keep things more relevant and not speculate on far-off projects.
Editor’s note: We’ll regularly update this list of the best new and upcoming Android phones.
New Android phones
If you don’t plan on waiting, some great phones are always launching. It’s important to know what’s already out, so here is a short list of the latest devices to hit the market.
- Google Pixel Fold ($1799 at Amazon): The Google Pixel Fold was unveiled at Google I/O 2023. It’s a powerful device with a foldable screen and an even more impressive price point.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 ($1799.99 at Samsung): This is Samsung’s latest high-end foldable phone. It features an improved hinge, top-of-the-line performance, and a great overall experience. It’s also very expensive, though.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 ($999.99 at Samsung): Those who prefer the flip-phone style will love the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5. Aside from the high-end performance and overall great experience, it now has a much larger external display.
- Google Pixel 7a ($477 at Amazon): If you’re looking for a more affordable, yet very capable device, the Pixel 7a was also announced alongside the Pixel Fold. It’s impressive how much smartphone you can get with this $499 device.
- ASUS ROG Phone 7 ($999 at Amazon): If you’re looking for a great gaming phone, you’ll be hard-pressed to find something better than ASUS’. It has powerful performance, excellent battery life, fast charging, a gorgeous screen, and a bevy of gaming features.
- Motorola Razr Plus ($899.99 at Amazon): Are you looking for a flip phone with a foldable screen? The Motorola Razr Plus is the hottest one around, with a gorgeous design, large external display, very good specs, and reasonable price point.
- Sony Xperia 1 V ($1398 at Amazon): The Sony Xperia 1 V is a powerhouse of a device, with stunning performance, a gorgeous 4K display, and impressive camera features. The only reason we place it lower on this list is because of its price, which seems a bit unreasonable at $1,399.99
Upcoming 2023 Android phones
Google Pixel 8 and 8 Pro
The Pixel Fold and 7a are exciting, but we’re also waiting to see the standard Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro later in 2023. Pixel phones usually launch in October, with the only exception being the Pixel 5, which launched in late September. The Google Pixel 8 series will launch around the same time. While there is no exact word on the launch, we know Google is having a hardware announcement even this October 4, 2023. We’re almost sure it will be there.
We’ve already seen some leaked renders from Smartpix and OnLeaks. Both look very similar to each other, and go along with Google’s design language. The main difference we see is that the corners seem to be a bit more round. Otherwise, it seems to have the same glass design and a metallic camera housing across the back.
If you want to stay up-to-date on related rumors, follow our guide on everything we know in our Google Pixel 8 series rumor hub. It now includes an official video from Google, showing the design and all.
- When will the Pixel 8 be released? — Likely in October 4, 2023
Samsung Galaxy S23 FE
The Samsung Galaxy S22 FE never came to be, but there is now evidence Samsung may revive the Fan Edition lineup with a Samsung Galaxy S23 FE. It is believed this would be the replacement for what would have been the Samsung Galaxy A74.
We’ve already seen some rumors and leaks, and the phone looks much like a regular S23. This is a common occurrence with Fan Edition smartphones; they usually look very similar to their non-FE versions.
If you would like to learn more about this device, we have a Samsung Galaxy S23 rumor hub. You’ll be able to find all the details we know there, such as rumored specs, more images, and more. Samsung has never been very consistent with Fan Edition phone releases, but rumors say it will come in late 2023.
- When will the Samsung Galaxy S23 FE be released? — Rumors say Q4 2023, maybe in September
The OnePlus 11 is excellent, but it’s not as exciting as a OnePlus foldable. Despite CEO Pete Lau saying the company hasn’t found significant value in the foldable smartphone market, rumors of a OnePlus foldable have been surfacing since May 2022, when a tip stated OnePlus might be copying the OPPO Find N to make its first foldable device in 2023.
Since then, the company has filed for hinge patents and trademarked the OnePlus V Fold and OnePlus V Flip names. While these monikers make a lot of sense, we believe OnePlus may have changed its mind, as more recent rumors suggest the device will be called OnePlus Open. Even OnePlus tweeted a hint of the upcoming device’s name.
OnePlus also took some time to tease what looked like a foldable on stage. In an effort to kill all rumors, OnePlus took to MWC 2023 to confirm there are definitely plans for a foldable device. The previous teaser claimed it was coming in Q3, but we should hear some more murmurs until then.
You can follow our OnePlus Open rumor hub to stay updated on everything regarding this upcoming Android device.
- When will the OnePlus foldable be released? — September or early October, 2023
Microsoft Surface Duo 3
The Microsoft Surface Duo series is interesting. Microsoft went full-force into the foldable device market, offering the first iteration of the Surface Duo in September 2020, and the Surface Duo 2 in October 2021. However, there was no Surface Duo launch in 2023. What happened?
We still don’t know much about the upcoming Microsoft foldable, but sources from Windows Central claim the Microsoft Surface Duo 3 was finalized, and then canceled. This is likely due to the strong influence of actual foldable displays, which have flooded the market. The Surface Duo’s middle gap is simply not as pleasant to use.
The rumors claim Microsoft’s following foldable will have an actual foldable panel, as well as an external display. If this holds true, it will resemble other modern foldable phones. As such, it may no longer have the Duo monicker. It’s hard to tell, and details are still scarce, but this is an exciting device to look forward to.
We aren’t sure of a release date, but if we are to go by previous launches, the phone might be announced sometime around September or October. Windows Central’s Zec Bowden believes this to be unlikely, though, and thinks the launch will come later.
- When will the Microsoft Surface Duo 3 be released? — Maybe September-October, but likely later
Sony Xperia 5 V
The Sony Xperia 1 V is a fantastic phone, but it is expensive and probably too expensive for most people. If you’re hoping for a similar experience that isn’t as premium, the Sony Xperia 5 V will likely be a better device for you.
The Sony Xperia 5 V is no secret anymore, as it was announced on September 1, 2023. It won’t be released until later in September, though.
You can learn all about the Sony Xperia 5 V here, including the specs, features, and more.
- When will the Sony Xperia 5 V be released? — Around September/October
Are you a fan of Fairphone devices? We don’t know much about the upcoming Fairphone 5, but we know how it looks both inside and out. This is because we managed to grab some official renders from a Fairphone insider. We’ve also already had our hands-on time with the Fairphone 5. Not to mention, it is already announced.
The device is quite remarkable. It now has an IP55 rating, which isn’t amazing, but at least has an IP rating now. And it achieved this without sacrificing repairability or modularity. You can still remove the back and swap out the battery. You can also easily replace the display, cameras, earpiece, and more. You can even replace the USB-C port! It’s even possible to pick between some modular units, including a ToF sensor, an extra SIM tray, or a microSD card slot.
We had a pretty good experience with the phone, but you’ll have to wait for our full review to get our final verdict. The Fairphone 5 is set to launch at €699 (~$758). Sadly, it’s not officially coming to the USA, at least yet. It will first launch in Europe, come September 14, 2023.
- When will the Fairphone 5 be released? — September 14, 2023
Upcoming 2024 Android phones
If you don’t need a new phone in 2023, you can start looking into the 2024 devices. Here are the most exciting ones you should keep in mind.
- Samsung Galaxy S24 series: Samsung always kicks off the year with its highly-anticipated flagship devices. The next ones should come sometime around January or February.
- Xiaomi 14 series: We might see the Xiaomi 14 devices launching in December, as is the case in for the past few years, but this initial launch usually only applies to the Chinese market. It may take a while for the device to reach other markets, probably around February.
- OnePlus 12: OnePlus devices usually launch globally within the first quarter of each year. Rumors say this time we should see a January global launch.
- Samsung Galaxy A55: The Galaxy A series is Samsung’s best value offering, and these usually launch in March. We expect the same in 2024.
- ASUS ROG Phone 8: ASUS’ gaming devices usually launch around April, but the manufacturer isn’t always very consistent with its launches.
- Sony Xperia 1 VI: These camera powerhouses usually launch around May.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 6 and Z Flip 6: We are almost sure Samsung will continue releasing foldables. If previous launches are anything to go by, it will likely be in July or August.
We’re sticking to ones we are almost certain we’ll see in the year for this section, but there may be other devices coming. Some may include a Google Pixel Fold 2, OnePlus Open 2, Google Pixel 9, and others. If we omitted these or any other possible upcoming devices, it’s because they are too far off or new to know if a successor is coming in 2024.
Keep in mind these are only some of the best upcoming Android phones. We’ve focused on the ones we’re most looking forward to. It’s essential to remember that the industry continues to push forward, so we’re sure there will be plenty of other exciting announcements in the next six months. As always, we’ll be here at AndroidAuthority.com telling you all about them!