Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: Google-less Mate 30 and our Note 10 Plus camera review
This week was all about HUAWEI, with several new devices announced at the launch event in Munich. We finally got a look at the new Mate 30 lineup, which has some impressive specs — but no Google apps. Despite this, HUAWEI has high hopes for the Mate 30 lineup, plus the Chinese company will make it as easy as possible to install apps from other sources. Even better, when/if the whole thing blows over it can push Google services to devices around the world “overnight”.
But new smartphones weren’t the only thing announced, with an impressive new HUAWEI Watch GT 2 on display. Like the previous model, it offers exceptional two-week battery life and uses the same chip found in the HUAWEI Freebuds 3. We also saw the HUAWEI Vision TV, which will be the first Harmony OS device to be released in Europe, as well as an incredibly expensive Porsche Design Mate 30 RS.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- The Mate 30 Pro and HUAWEI’s big pain in the apps — HUAWEI faces a daunting challenge with its flagship Mate 30 Pro, which will ship without access to the Google Play Store.
- Galaxy Note 10 Plus camera review: At this price it should be better — Samsung’s flagship tackles the triple-camera trend by surpassing it with four rear-mounted cameras.
- realme XT review: Xiaomi needs to be worried — The realme XT brings the fight straight to Xiaomi. Great hardware and design make it one of the best mid-rangers out there.
- Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro review: Is the European K20 Pro worth the purchase? — The Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro is the European version of the Redmi K20 Pro, but is it worth your money?
- HUAWEI Watch GT 2 hands-on: HUAWEI’s best watch to date? — The HUAWEI Watch GT 2 brings premium fitness features to everyday fashion.
- What HUAWEI will (and won’t) do to scratch your Google itch — We talk to Richard Yu about what the company will and won’t do to bring Google services to the Mate 30.
- Should Samsung reboot its Galaxy flagships and merge the S and Note series? — To merge, or not to merge the S and Note series? That is the question.
- Staff picks: Here are 6 things Scott Adam Gordon uses every day — Want to learn more about the tech we’re into? Here are the gadgets Scott Adam Gordon uses every day.
- 64MP realme XT vs 40MP HUAWEI P30 Pro: The hi-res camera showdown — The realme XT boasts the world’s first 64MP camera, but is it better than the HUAWEI P30 Pro?
- Here are all the 120Hz-enabled games you can play on the ASUS ROG Phone 2 — Here are all the 120Hz-enabled games you can play on the ASUS ROG Phone 2.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week we aired two episodes of the podcast. In the first we ran through a conversation with Douglas Michau, Executive Director North America Business Development at Motorola Mobility. It covers Moto Mods, 5G, foldables, and more!
In the second episode of the week we discussed whether or not the lack of Google apps is a dealbreaker for the Mate 30 line, plus a few more surprises!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Google Pixel 3a XL?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.