Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: Mid-range Pixels and Android Q beta news from Google I/O
This week we finally saw the official release of the Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL, which come with mid-range specs but the same great Pixel camera for half the price. Google I/O featured a number of other announcements including a new Nest device and more, but the big takeaway seems to be an increased focus on Assistant and privacy.
The Samsung Galaxy Fold still doesn’t have a release date, and Samsung will begin canceling pre-orders unless users actively confirm them. We could hear news about the release in the next few days, but it’s unlikely that the screen issues that plagued review devices will be completely remedied.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Google Pixel 3a XL review: Come for the camera, stay for the experience — Is a great camera enough to make up for the lack of high-end specifications?
- Google Pixel 3a vs Pixel 3: What do you sacrifice for a cheaper price tag? — What sets these two devices apart? Is the 3a the better deal?
- Google I/O 2019 keynote: Everything you need to know! — Find out everything that was announced in the Google I/O 2019 keynote!
- Android Q Beta 3 hands-on: Dark theme, new gestures, and more! — Wondering what’s new in the Android Q Beta 3? Check it out here!
- The ultimate guide to replacing your smartphone battery — Smartphone battery not performing as well as it once was? It might be time to replace it.
- Google Nest Hub Max is a super-sized smart display with built-in Nest Cam — Here’s all you need to know about Nest Hub Max, Google’s new super-sized smart display.
- 2019 photography showdown: HUAWEI P30 Pro vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Google Pixel 3 — We pit these three devices against each other in the ultimate camera showdown.
- Google I/O showed that the future of Android is less Android, more Assistant — Why spend time interacting with Android when Assistant can do it for you?
- Google finally updates Android distribution chart, big changes in the works — Here’s what Google has in store for its Android distribution numbers going forward.
- WhatsApp on KaiOS: What you’re getting, what’s missing — WhatsApp is indeed available on KaiOS, but how does it differ from the Android version?
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
On this week’s edition of the podcast we discuss Google I/O, which overall left us a feeling a bit underwhelmed. We also touch on the new features pushed out in the Android Q beta this week, and the surprising news about the Samsung Galaxy Fold. Listen to the whole episode below!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Google Pixel 3a?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.