Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: Google's iMessage alternative and more Huawei legal issues
This week Google announced that it would begin rolling out RCS messaging to more Android phones. RCS is essentially a platform-agnostic way to send messages that could compete with iMessage. It will begin rolling out in France and the U.K. this month, but some of us on the team are skeptical that it can overcome third-party chat apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
Google’s week wasn’t all good, as it was accused of stealing lyrics from Genius. Huawei also continued to have a rough time this week, as FedEx refused to deliver a Huawei phone due to the ongoing ban. Huawei later filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Commerce, further escalating the feud between the two parties.
As for devices, this week we published our review of the OnePlus 7, the LG V50 ThinQ, and the Samsung Galaxy Fit. We also got our first look at the Huawei’s upper-midrange Nova 5 series, complete with four cameras and 40 watt charging.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- OnePlus 7 review: The true ‘flagship killer’ — The OnePlus 7 Pro has some attractive features, but this value-packed phone ticks all the right boxes.
- LG V50 ThinQ review: Does Sprint’s first 5G phone deliver? — The LG V50 ThinQ is the first 5G smartphone sold by Sprint. How does it hold up?
- Samsung Galaxy Fit review: Affordable, simple, and all-around good — Is Samsung’s new bare-bones fitness tracker right for you? Find out here.
- Behind the scenes with the OnePlus camera team — We visited the OnePlus camera lab to learn all about their growing pains and future plans.
- Google Pixel 3a XL camera review: Category leader — The Google Pixel 3a XL has a better camera than most every other device in its price range.
- Why I won’t pre-order the Pixel 4 — Our Adam Molina thinks pre-ordering a Pixel phone isn’t the deal it used to be.
- The U.S. phone market is about to get even more expensive — Escalations in the U.S. – China trade war could make your new phone more expensive than ever.
- Wi-Fi at 20: The internet’s most important tech is about to grow up — We take a look back at where Wi-Fi has been and where it’s going.
- Is it me or have smartphones become interesting again? — We’ve been through a few years of smartphone stagnation, but we might coming out the other side of it.
- Qualcomm ISP Explained — How the Qualcomm Spectra ISP and photography ecosystem help achieve crystal clear snapshots.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week on the podcast we discuss RCS protocol coming to Android and give our thoughts on the state of the smartphone market.
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win an Oppo Reno 10x Zoom Edition?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.