Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Daily Authority: 👉 New Pixel Tablet details
👑 Happy Friday everyone! Yesterday was obviously a historic day with the passing of Queen Elizabeth, but we’re here to talk about tech news, and there’s never a shortage of that!
Android 13 beta reveals new Pixel Tablet details
Google first revealed the Pixel Tablet back in May of this year, but news has been very short ever since. Now, the Android 13 beta has revealed a new sneak peek into what we can expect from the device, and it comes right from the source(code).
- The initial reveal showed pins in the back, and fans largely speculated that these would allow the tablet to serve as a smart display.
- Some sleuthing by the folks at 9to5Google unveiled animations within the Android 13 beta that seem to support this, showing the Pixel Tablet sliding into a dock.
- As soon as it’s connected, the Google Assistant logo and icons for alarm, music, videos, and pictures appear, all of which are found on the Nest Hub.
- A separate animation shows a split-screen layout (seen above), and demonstrates how to dock and undock the device.
- However, we don’t actually get to see the dock. But at least we can now confirm its (future) existence.
- You can watch both of the animations here.
What else do we know about the Pixel Tablet?
- Aside from the design reveal, which showed some surprisingly large bezels compared to tablets from Samsung or Apple, we don’t know much.
- Google initially stated it was aiming for a 2023 release, but the exact language used implied it could easily slip back to 2024.
- We know it will launch with a Google Tensor chip, and despite coming out after the presumed date of the updated version in the Pixel 7, other code-sleuthing indicates it will launch with the first-gen chip.
- Elsewhere in the code, it’s indicated that the tablet won’t have a modem, GPS, or other sensors found in more “mobile” tablets.
- In other words, it’s likely meant to be kept at home, serving as a Nest Hub that can be detached from its dock.
- Will the Pixel Tablet be another smash hit like the Nexus 7? Or a big disappointment like the Pixel Slate? Only time will tell.
📺 Samsung takes a dig at die-hard iPhone fans with new Galaxy Z Flip 4 ad, and I’m all about it (Android Authority).
💰 Underwhelmed by the iPhone 14? Now is the perfect time to buy an iPhone 13 at a reduced price (Android Authority).
📷 Motorola brings its 200MP camera flagship to global markets, with 125W charging, a 144Hz display, and Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 processor (Android Authority).
🙏 Camera details for a second Pixel foldable may have leaked. Will we hear about it next month? A boy can dream (Android Authority).
🎓 YouTube will let creators offer paid video courses next year, which may compete with the likes of Skillshare (Engadget).
⌚ Apple Watch Ultra vs Series 8: Which should you buy? For some people, it’s worth the $300 premium (Android Authority).
❓ Scientists asked students to try to fool anti-cheating software. They did (Vice).
🛵 Razor EcoSmart Cargo blurs the line between e-bike and scooter, but it’s not cheap. It looks more comfortable than an electric scooter, but a lot bigger (Android Authority).
🍿 Looking for something to watch this weekend? Here are the best new shows and the best new movies in the streaming world, plus a few shows like The Rings of Power to watch between episodes (Android Authority).
The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max certainly have some interesting new features, but the vanilla iPhone 14 and 14 Plus are… extremely iterative. It’s pretty much the same phone as the iPhone 13, for $100 more. Steve Jobs’ own daughter seems to agree, posting the above image on Instagram.
Have a great weekend!
Nick Fernandez, Editor.