Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Daily Authority: 📷 Pixel 8 Pro's new(ish) night sight tricks
😱 Good morning and welcome to Tuesday’s edition of the Daily Authority! I’m looking forward to seeing Scream VI tomorrow, though friends have given it very mixed reviews. First though, on with the day’s top tech headlines, including a Pixel 8 Pro story and Apple’s controversial move.
Pixel 8 Pro’s new(ish) camera trick
Though it’s still months away from launch, we’re seeing a constant trickle of leaks for Google’s Pixel 8 series. Today’s latest one comes courtesy of the folks over at 9to5Google, and it’s all about a new(ish) photography feature headed for the phone.
- Some Columbo-style code sleuthing of the latest Google Camera app update has unearthed details of a new camera feature that could blend shots from multiple cameras to improve the Pixel 8 Pro’s Night Sight.
- If you’re getting deja-vu, that’s because this trick already exists on the Pixel 7 Pro.
- Multi-camera Super Res Zoom kicks in on the current top-tier Pixel flagship when you’re zooming, but not far enough to switch to the dedicated telephoto shooter.
- Images from both the telephoto lens and primary camera are combined, resulting in the center of the image being enhanced with more detail and clarity.
- It looks like Google could use the same trick on Night Sight images on the Pixel 8 Pro, with the technique remaining the same.
- The regular Pixel 8 may not have a dedicated telephoto shooter, so this should be a Pixel 8 Pro-exclusive feature.
Apple courts controversy with mute switch killer move
Remember when OnePlus removed the alert slider from the OnePlus 10T? So do lots of long-term fans of the physical switch, who were quick to express their (unhappy) thoughts about this controversial move.
Now it looks like Apple could be courting similar controversy by killing off the iPhone’s mute switch.
- Freshly leaked iPhone 15 Pro images and video from Twitter tipster ShrimpApplePro show a new design for the phone’s volume keys and mute switch.
- It looks like curtains for the tactile slider that allows current iPhone users to quickly put their phones on silent, with a new solid-state mute button replacing the slider.
- There won’t be two separate volume keys to increase or decrease the volume either, with one large capacitive button replacing these.
- And it seems this will be a Pro move only, with the regular iPhone 15 retaining its switch-style slider.
💻 Check your email: Google is giving Pixel Superfans early access to its ChatGPT AI rival Bard (Android Authority).
👏 Good news for Pixel 6 series owners: Google has rolled out the March 2023 security patch to the Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro, and Pixel 6a, so you’re no longer exposed to the security risk from affected Exynos chips (Android Authority).
⏰ And Google is finally fixing the pesky Pixel Watch alarm problem in its March 2023 update, and it’s here now. (Android Authority).
👀 Netflix plans 40 more game releases in 2023 as it pushes forward with plans to be global gaming force (Axios).
📱 Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Flip 5 leak may reveal some welcomed specs: Hello, water drop hinge? (Android Authority).
📷 Oppo Find X6 Pro announced: A phone that bets everything on its main cameras — but it’s a China-only device (Android Authority).
💲 More data suggests smartphones are going to get way more expensive soon (Android Authority).
🛒 OnePlus 11 gets 100-day return period to let users see if they like it (Android Authority).
🎮 Gunning for the competition: Microsoft wants to launch a game app store on Android and iOS (Android Authority).
🌍 Pack your bags: Finland is the happiest country in the world, according to the World Happiness Report 2023 (the US ranks 15th, while the UK doesn’t even make the top 15) (h/t Axios, World Happiness Report).
Something silly today. I thought I’d share this apt Tuesday-themed little poem from one of my favorite poets, Brian Bilston.
Enjoy the rest of Tuesday, whether under a duvet or out in the world!
Paula Beaton, Copy Editor.