Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
The big March 2023 update is finally here for the Google Pixel Watch
Welcome to the Google Pixel Watch update hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on software releases for Google’s first smartwatch. We’ll detail the current firmware versions for the Pixel Watch and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out.
The Pixel Watch launched with Wear OS 3.5 on board. Google confirmed that the series would receive up to three years of major Android updates and five years of security updates.
- Current stable version: Wear OS 3.5
Latest Google Pixel Watch update
March 21, 2023: Google has finally rolled out the big March 2023 software update for the Pixel Watch. After this update, the Pixel Watch is now running on the March security patch. RWDA.230114.008.R1 is the new build number with an RWDA.230114.008.J2 variant for watches in Japan and Taiwan. According to 9to5Google, the following is the full changelog for the latest Pixel Watch update.
- Digital Clock is now available with button press when the device is powered down. The time will now appear upon crown push, alongside the red low battery indicator.
- In addition to enabling AOD in the settings on your watch or companion app, you can now turn AOD on by rotating the haptic crown, and the screen activates in AOD off and brightens display in ambient mode.
- Optimizations have been added to improve sensitivity of touchscreen behavior.
- Battery saver enable/disable single tap support in QSS has been fully enabled in this release.
- In the coming weeks, a fix will be rolled out via PlayStore to update the Clock app that addresses some alarms which have been having a delayed or false start.
- Ensure Auto-update apps is selected in Play Store > Settings on your watch and you will get this update once it’s available when your watch is on charger and connected to Wi-Fi.
You can tap Settings > System > System Updates to check for the latest updates on your Pixel Watch.
Previous Google Pixel Watch updates
- February 7, 2023: Google rolled out the February security update for the Pixel Watch. The RWD9.220429.075 patch landed on both the LTE and Wi-Fi models.
- January 10, 2023: Google supplied the Pixel Watch with the January 2023 update featuring firmware number RWD9.220429.073 for both the LTE and Wi-Fi models. The update fixed an issue that would see third-party watch faces turn off after 15 minutes with the always-on display enabled. It also included the new security patches and other, unspecified bug fixes.
- December 5, 2022: Google’s watch received a notable firmware update in December, bearing firmware version RWD9.220429.070. This update fixed issues related to hands-free profile calling, watch face complications, and Fitbit Exercise.
- November 14, 2022: The November 2022 update for the Pixel Watch offers tighter Fitbit integration and a fix for an eSIM bug.
- October 13, 2022: The Pixel Watch may have just been reaching buyers at this point, but 9to5Google reported that a software update was available once you complete initial setup. The update brought better GPS accuracy and other unnamed “new features.”
If you’ve spotted a Pixel Watch OTA update that we haven’t, you can send us a tip here!