Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Daily Authority: 👀 Samsung's early CES surprises
😎 Good morning, and welcome to Tuesday’s Daily Authority! We’re back, and Happy New Year to you all! I feel like I’m still recovering from all the food and drink consumed over the holidays, and I’m sure I’m not alone. Without further ado, let’s dive straight into today’s top tech news, including a couple of Samsung stories to get started…
Samsung kicks off CES 2023 announcements early
- Its 8K 7,680 x 2,160 resolution with a 32:9 aspect ratio provides gamers with the equivalent of two UHD screens on one display.
- It’s definitely a step up from Samsung’s Odyssey Ark monitor, which measured up at 55 inches with a 4K resolution.
- It also packs a 240Hz refresh rate, a matte display to reduce glare and reflections, and support for DisplayPort 2.1 for data transfer rates twice as fast as older DisplayPort tech.
- Amongst the other monitors revealed were the 49-inch Odyssey OLED G9 and two new 27-inch monitors.
- We’re expecting to see a price tag of around $3,500 for the Neo G9, but we don’t have any confirmed prices or release dates yet.
Samsung Galaxy A54 specs leak
We also saw a purported leak of Samsung Galaxy A54 specs, giving us an idea what to expect from Samsung’s next mid-ranger:
- The leak came from frequent tipster Yogesh Brar, who posted the list of specs on Twitter
- According to Brar, the Galaxy A54 will be powered by the unreleased Exynos 1380 SoC.
- Though we don’t have the official word on this chipset yet, a Geekbench listing suggests it’ll be a major upgrade over the Exynos 1280’s CPU layout. Take this with a hearty pinch of salt, though.
- What else? We’ll apparently also see a 6.4-inch FHD+ OLED screen with 120Hz refresh rate, 6GB to 8GB of RAM, 128GB to 256GB of storage, and a 5,000mAh battery with 25W wired charging. No huge surprises there.
- It also looks likely that the Galaxy A54 will pack an IP67 rating, running Android 13 with One UI 5.
- On the camera front, we can supposedly expect a 50MP main (with OIS), 12MP shooter (likely ultrawide), and a 5MP sensor (unspecified).
- This is one 5MP sensor less than the Galaxy A53‘s quad camera system, which featured two 5MP sensors. We hope the 5MP macro lens that’s vanished in favor of macro mode via the ultrawide shooter.
💻 Samsung made a laptop display that folds and slides at the same time: The Flex Hybrid will make its first appearance at CES 2023 (Android Authority).
📱 OnePlus 11 strikes a pose in live images, camera details officially confirmed before tomorrow’s launch (Android Authority).
💲 Just in time for your 2023 fitness resolutions: Fitbit Premium is 60% off right now, for a limited time, taking an annual subscription down from $79.99 to $31.99 (Android Authority).
🏃♀️ Speaking of fitness, go behind the scenes with some ridiculous stories from a fitness gadget reviewer (Android Authority).
🚀 Something for the weekend: Gizmodo‘s rounded up the 28 best sci-fi, horror, and fantasy movies of 2022 (Gizmodo).
📷 Vote in our poll: Are you the designated photographer at social gatherings? (Android Authority).
☔ With Dark Sky officially dead as of January 1, here are some of the best options if you’re looking for alternatives (Android Authority).
🐦 New year, new Twitter drama: Twitter sued for not paying San Francisco office rent — apparently, the company is $136,250 behind on payments (Engadget).
🎮 Something to look forward to: Here are all the big video game events happening in 2023, but which ones will you attend? (GamesHub).
We’re kicking off Tuesday morning by taking a peek at Gizmodo‘s roundup of some of the coolest space images of 2022. From an arresting protostar hourglass to two very ancient galaxies and a close-up of Europa, these images are just a few favorites from last year (it seems odd to be saying that already). Above, you’ll see the Sun’s south pole as viewed from NASA and ESA’s Solar Orbiter. Wow!
You can check out the whole slideshow here.
Have an out-of-this-world day!
Paula Beaton, Copy Editor.