Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – September 27, 2015
Android fans, this week brought us last minute details about the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P; we’ve got the first official look at the BlackBerry Priv (formerly known as Venice); LG joined the metal club with the Class; Xiaomi introduced its new $200 flagship; we’ve got our best looks at the upcoming LG V10 and HTC’s One A9; and Samsung introduced the consumer version of the Gear VR.
Inside AA HQ
The biggest week in the Android calendar is coming. New devices, a new Android version, and perhaps some surprises? Oh my! It’s like Christmas eve, and we’re all kids trying to sneak a peek. Though, truth is, Google did a lousy job hiding the presents this year, so we already know what to expect. (If you’re curious, check out the Nexus rumor roundup.) Join us from Tuesday as we analyze everything.
This week Josh attended the Oculus Connect developer conference in LA and brought you his impressions of the Gear VR and the Oculus Touch controller. One thing is clear: VR technology is ready to break into mainstream. Between Oculus, Samsung’s Gear VR, Google’s low-fi Cardboard, Sony’s PlayStation VR, Microsoft’s HoloLens, and HTC’s Vive, the ecosystem is already growing fast. Will 2016 be the year when our VR dreams finally turn into reality? It’s about time!
Congratulations to Nishant P. from India, the lucky winner of last week’s Sunday Giveaway prize, a Galaxy Note 5. This week, we’re putting up for grabs a Moto X Pure (Style). Enter here!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Tech talk: What’s new in Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 3 standard? Rob explains.
- Review: Gary reviews the excellent HUAWEI Mate S
- Unboxing: Josh brings you his first impressions of the elegant HUAWEI Watch
- Tips and tricks: Let Josh help you make the most of the Galaxy Note 5
- The big picture: What are the countries leading LTE adoption? Rob takes a look at the data
- Impressions: After two weeks with the Moto X Play, Nirave brings you his impressions
- DIY: You don’t need to pay for your Cardboard set: Taylor has a DIY guide
- Feature: The tablet market is polarizing: what are the consequences?
Top news of the week
LG shows some Class
Nexus 5X and 6P countdown
- HUAWEI Nexus said to feature 128GB of storage space
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow set to roll out October 5, according to Telus
- Nexus 5X & Nexus 6P packaging, Nexus 6P press image leak ahead of announcement
- Amazon India lists Nexus 5X, confirms storage, processor, color options and more
- Leaked presentation reveals the Nexus 6P will feature a big 3450mAh battery
Xiaomi Mi 4c: flagship, on the cheap
- Xiaomi launches the Mi 4c: high-end specs for less than $240
- Xiaomi launches “Mi Mobile”, offers 3GB data for under $10
LG V10: trying new things
- LG V10’s secondary “ticker” display shown off in new leak
- LG gives us a glimpse of its upcoming cutting edge smartphone
One A9: HTC’s next big bet
Gear VR is getting closer
BlackBerry focuses on Priv(acy)
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.