Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – November 8, 2015
Android fans, this week brought us a very interesting report on how Google tries to fight Android fragmentation by standardizing components. Contradictory rumors about the camera of the upcoming Galaxy S7 surfaced. Meanwhile, Samsung’s future in the mobile industry came into question, following one prominent analyst’s prediction. HUAWEI teased the upcoming Mate 8 and launched the Kirin 950 processor. Google released updates for its productivity apps and tweaked the terms of the Android One program. Finally, Motorola launched the Turbo Edition of the Moto G, and more rumors surfaced about the Xiaomi Mi 5.
Inside AA HQ
As we’re getting closer to the holidays, there’s a distinct slowdown in the world of Android. The biggest devices of the season are already familiar; the Marshmallow update cycle is yet to start; and next year’s crop of flagship is still several months away. Hopefully, we’ll still get some exciting new devices by the end of the year, with the Xiaomi Mi 5 and HUAWEI Mate 8 standing out. And, considering what we’ve been hearing about Google’s plans for next year, there’s always a chance that some juicy leaks will give us what to talk about.
Things are pretty quiet around AA HQ too, but we still had a few standout posts this week: namely, make sure to check Nirave’s very special throwback hands-on, Krystal’s reviews of the new Droids, and Gary’s blockbuster report on the top SoCs of the moment.
This week, the prize in our weekly giveaway is a Nexus 5X! Good luck, everybody!
[ooyala code=”k2aDhweDr8e02Hqt9Ke4cIw5kdME7hQb” player_id=”7f2b2d0412e84a188ede8d648751dc42″ width=”1920″ height=”1080″ auto=”true”]
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: Droid Maxx 2 review: how good is Motorola’s latest big battery phone?
- Review: Droid Turbo 2: shatterproof screen, but what else is worth knowing about this phone?
- Hands-on: Hands-on with the Nokia 3410, 13 years later
- Feature: Now that we take HUAWEI seriously, what’s next for the Chinese giant?
- Tech talk: Check out Gary’s super showdown between the top SoCs of the moment
- Comparison: Nexus 6P vs iPhone 6S Plus: the best of Android vs the best of iOS
- Review: The One A9 looks beautiful, but is it worth the money?
Top news of the week
Google is getting into chip making
- Samsung CEO: “If we resist changes, then we won’t survive”
- Why an analyst thinks Samsung will stop making smartphones in 5 years, and why I disagree.
Galaxy S7 camera rumors
- HUAWEI Mate 8 teased for Nov 26 unveiling
- Kirin 950 announced: What you need to know
- HUAWEI G7 Plus official: 5.5-inch 1080p and 13MP camera
Google apps updates
- Inbox by Gmail will read your emails and type out replies for you
- Google Drive update makes sharing files much more convenient
- Latest Google Play Services further simplifies the sign-in experience
Changes to Android One
Xiaomi Mi5 launch date rumored
Moto G gets a Turbo Edition
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.