Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week - May 24, 2015
Android fans, Google I/O is coming next week and we’re just excited as you are for all the Googley goodies coming our way! The past week brought us some glimpses of what’s coming, including details about Google’s new Android-based Internet of Things operating system codenamed Brillo; in other news, Asus introduced the affordable Zenfone 2 in the US; LG launched the G4 Stylus and G4c; we heard about Google’s plans to build fingerprint sensor support into Android M; Oppo launched the sleek R7 and R7 Plus; we heard rumors about HTC’s low-cost tablet; and got our first glimpse of the Iron Man edition of the Galaxy S6 Edge.
Inside AA HQ
Please join the AA team in welcoming Phil Vierno onboard! A mechanical engineer IRL, Phil is passionate about New York City, coffee, and fitness. But what’s he’s truly crazy about is creating awesome videos about mobile tech. Phil’s first video on AA is a review of the Oppo R1x, and many more will hopefully follow.
Next week is all about Google I/O. In the past, the annual festival of all things Google has brought us new devices, major upgrades to Google apps, and most recently, a preview edition of Android Lollipop. With Android M (Marshmallow? Muffin?) all but confirmed, we can’t wait for the obligatory surprise. As usual, AA will be on the ground at Moscone Center in San Francisco. More later this week!
Android Authority Podcast
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Feature: What makes a perfect smartphone? AA readers’ answers here!
- Feature: Simon ponders on the features that could (or should) be part of Android M
- Feature: In his posh British accent, Gary explains VR and the role that Android plays in its growth
- Opinion: Andrew muses on the merits of Motorola’s smartphone design philosophy
- For developers: Obaro has a primer on what Google I/O bring for Android app developers
- Review: Phil looks at the mid-range Oppo R1x and comes out moderately impressed
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Zenfone 2 lands stateside
- Asus ZenFone 2 hits U.S. retailers tomorrow, starting at $199
- Ahead of tomorrow’s U.S. launch, Amazon is now selling the ZenFone 2 starting at $199
LG G4 Stylus and G4c are
Google IO/Android M rumors
- Google will reportedly launch its photo sharing service sometime soon
- Android M may feature native fingerprint authentication
- Report: Google will show off new Internet of Things platform at I/O, code-named Brillo
Meet the Oppo R7/R7 Plus
- Oppo R7 and R7 Plus launch: specs, features, and availability
- Oppo R7 hands-on and first impressions
- Oppo R7 Plus hands-on and first look
Google apps updates
- Google Maps is getting new traffic alerts just in time for Memorial Day
- Hangouts for Chrome updated with much more refined UI
- Google brings 60fps live streams to YouTube
HTC tablet rumors
An Iron Man-worthy Galaxy S6 Edge
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: