Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week - May 17, 2015
Android fans, this week was relatively quiet, but we’ve still got a few glimpses of exciting new devices coming soon. HTClaunched yet another high-end smartphone in Japan and hinted it may try its luck with a low-end tablet; Xiaomi opened up its store in Europe, while specs of its next Redmi device leaked out; Google launched a new and greatly improved Android One device and issued a big update to its Play Music web app; the Galaxy S6 Active surfaced; OPPO revealed its R7 and R7 Plus; and ASUS revealed it’ll launch a new smartwatch at Computex.
Inside AA HQ
Inside AA HQ
We’re already in May, and that means we’re heading for an interesting time in the mobile industry, as companies rush to make their big announcements before the inevitable summer lull. Without doubt, the most interesting upcoming event is Google I/O on May 28; with Android M all but confirmed to be announced at the conference, it looks that we’ll have another preview edition to geek over in the summer months.
New devices are coming: OPPO has the R7 and R7 Plus launching next week, and Josh will be in China to cover it. Back in the States, NVIDIA has an Android gaming announcement, ASUS is about to launch the Zenfone 2, and HUAWEI has a surprise for early June. Computex is taking place in Taipei in the first week of June and we expect a smattering of Android tablets and ASUS’ new smartwatch. And there’s E3, and given how mobile is becoming a key focus for companies like Nintendo, Konami, or Square Enix, we look forward to quite a few interesting mobile gaming announcements.
We’re expanding our team with some bright new people, including an absolute expert in electronics and electrical engineering. Expect some great deep-level articles on the topic soon.
As always, take a few seconds to enter our weekly giveaway, this week we are giving away a Samsung Galaxy S6! You never know when luck strikes and you get yourself a hot Android device!
Android Authority Podcast
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Feature: What does Samsung need to do to make the next Tab S a hit?
- Tech talk: The race to add more cores to mobile SoCs continues, and that’s actually not a bad idea
- Feature: The Note 5 is coming, and it has some big shoes to fill – Andrew explains
- Tips: Nirave looks at how to improve the battery life of the Galaxy S6 Edge
- Review: The Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 is one of the best budget phones of the year, thinks Josh
- Feature: Truths and myths about the cell phones radiation and its effects on our health
- Feature: We’re almost half through the year: what cool Android phones should we expect in late 2015?
- Opinion: Simon discusses the pros and cons of Google adopting a yearly release cycle for Android
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Xiaomi rumors and new store
HTC thinking about a cheap tablet
New Android One
Galaxy S6 Active leaks
This is the OPPO R7
Google app updates
- Google to shut down editing in Map Maker following the peeing Android fiasco
- Google Play Music’s web interface updated with huge Material Design refresh
- Chromecast support makes its way to CBS, HGTV, FOX and many others
- Google Fit receives distance tracking, history, a new widget and more in new update
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: