Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
Android fans, LG seems bent on revealing everything about the G4 ahead of its official announcement on April 28, and while leaks are fun and all, we can’t say we’re mad that we’re getting some actual info straight from the source. This week also brought us some more news suggesting the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge will be sales hits; Google updated several of its apps and launched a brand new one; Cyanogen made waves with its Microsoft partnership; and Huawei introduced the sleek P8 and its totally excessive variant, the 6.8-inch P8 Max.
Inside AA HQ
Some cool announcements are coming from ARM soon, developments that will have a big impact on the features and performance of mobile devices coming down the pike. Our resident chip-heads Gary Sims and Rob Triggs have visited ARM’s headquarters in the UK to talk with the chip giant about its plans for the year. Keep an eye for their reports over the next few days.
If you’re a gaming fan, you’ll be glad to hear we’re planning to put more focus on Android gaming, starting with more day to day Android games news and reviews, and down the line, a regular segment dedicated to the best games of the week. We’re also planning to attend E3 in June, to bring you the hottest news from the world’s biggest gaming trade show.
This week we’re putting up an Oppo N3 up for grabs in our beloved giveaway. Throw your name in the hat here and good luck!
The Friday Debate Podcast
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: It’s affordable and has 4GB of RAM. What else should you know about the Asus Zenfone 2?
- Hands-on: Matt takes a look at HTC’s unassuming, but quite interesting Desire 626
- Opinion: Nirave thinks HTCcould have done a lot better with the One M9
- Opinion: The gap between flagship and “good enough” is shrinking every day
- Tech talk: Gary takes four of the most popular single board computers for a spin
- Camera shootout: You heard the Galaxy S6 camera is good – Josh shows you just how good
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
More LG G4 details
Cyanogen: Lollipop and Microsoft
- Cyanogen 12 rolling out now to OnePlus One, link to OTA file available
- CyanogenMod 12.1 (Lollipop 5.1) nightlies coming from today
- Cyanogen, now with Microsoft: Bing, Skype, Office and more to be bundled from later this year
Galaxy S6 news
- How much does it actually cost to build the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge?
- Korea report: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge sales surpass expectations
- Galaxy S6 Edge Battery Life – First 24 hours
- Are the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge overpriced?
- If you’re experiencing poor battery life on your Galaxy S6, try updating this app
- Galaxy S6 Edge Battery Life – 4 Days Later
- Samsung estimates Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge sales could reach 70 million
The Huawei P8 and the giant P8 Max
Google apps updates
- Google Chrome update version 42 brings site notifications and bug fixes
- You can now locate your phone by typing “Find My Phone” into Google Search
- Google Handwriting Input app comes to Google Play, supports cursive, print and emoji input
- Google Drive update supports easy file sharing and 23 new languages
- Android for Work arrives on the Play Store
- Google+ gets a Material refresh animation and updated Community page view in new update
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: