This week Google unveiled a massive rebranding of Android, modernizing the colors, wordmark, and even the iconic bugdroid. As part of the change, Android will no longer use dessert names for new OS versions, and Android Q will now be known as Android 10.
On the other side of the world, we got a tour of Huawei’s $1.5 billion headquarters in Shenzhen, China. We heard first-hand what Huawei’s plans for the future are, including 5G, HarmonyOS, internet-of-things devices, and of course, smartphones.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus review: Not the Note you know — It might not be the ultimate power-user phone anymore, but it’s got enough power for just about everyone.
- Inside Google’s massive Android rebrand — Google’s Android branding is evolving in hopes of feeling more accessible to a global audience.
- I spent a week in China with Huawei. Here’s what I learned. — Huawei showed us every facet of its business, including 5G, IoT, Honor phones, and HarmonyOS.
- Redmi K20 review: The makings of a champion — A premium build and versatile camera setup make the Redmi K20 a mid-range champion!
- JBL Link Bar review: The smartest speaker in its class — The Link Bar turns your dumb TV into a smart one.
- WeWork: How it works, and why it won’t work for me — Paying for community doesn’t come cheap.
- Let’s face it, the Android brand refresh was long overdue — Alternative headline: “Bugdroid had to go.”
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus fast charging explained — Which chargers work with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 fast charging? Here’s what you need to know.
- The removal of Android treat names makes me sad — I know it sounds silly, but I feel like Android is losing a tiny bit of its identity with the removal of treat names.
- Why it’s hard to buy a bad budget smartphone in 2019 — Finding a bad budget Android phone is trickier than ever has been — but why? Join us as we investigate.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week was a big one, so had three full episodes of the Android Authority podcast. In the first episode, we discussed the Android rebrand and our week-long tour of Huawei’s headquarters.
In the second episode, Adam Doud sat down with David Imel to talk about the Note 10 Plus and why it represents a big change for the flagship series.
Finally, we got nerdy with Gary Sims of Gary Explains to talk about open source hardware and designing a smartphone chip.
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Samsung Galaxy S10e?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.