Listen on the go! DGiT Daily is also a podcast, available every day by 1:00pm ET, however you listen to your podcasts, or go to dgit.com/podcast to join host Adam Doud.
1. LG release announcement video for a new smartphone, and this better be good
The next big tech show, after Samsung’s Unpacked event tomorrow in NYC, is IFA 2019, here in Berlin, from September 6 – 11. (I just got my media badge, and I’m excited to be bringing DGiT Daily to you from the show floor. Anyway!)
And despite the conference being a month away, LG has dropped an announcement video on YouTube ahead of time, offering a fun 8-bit style sneak peek at what’s coming – and it’s clear the second screen concept is going further.
- The full clip shows a little game on a smartphone-shaped screen, where a character moves around to gain items shaped like a camera and gamepad.
- Then, the second screen opens up to take the character to IFA, with a date set for 10:00, Friday, September 6, 2019.
So what does this mean?
- It is about the time of year we expect LG to unveil a new flagship, so the next LG V series would fit the bill – likely the LG V60 ThinQ, based on naming conventions, but that’s just a guess for now.
- It’s also expected that it will be 5G capable.
- Really, the interest is in this second screen attachment though.
- We have to think it’s not a foldable display, as per the Samsung Galaxy Fold or Huawei Mate X.
- But it’s a pseudo-fold, perhaps with a fresh and enhanced second screen attachment option that we saw with the LG V50 at MWC 2019 – below:
- We’re going to give LG the benefit of the doubt here. It could just be a gimmick, and really, LG needs to work on its camera to make people pay attention.
- Buuuut an announcement this early, and much more than just a private email invite to press contacts, something this widely shared to the public, might mean LG has something more to show us? We urge, nay, insist?
- At least LG is up to something, and it’s entirely likely the next flagship will still have a headphone jack.
2. Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 is here with LTE support and the return of the rotating touch-enabled bezel (Android Authority).
3. HTC suspends UK smartphone sales due to patent claim, Xiaomi targeted too (Android Authority).
4. Huawei tweeted a poll and that wasn’t a clever idea (Twitter).
5. The iPhone 11’s release date may have been accidentally revealed as September 20 by Japan telco CEO (PhoneArena).
6. Apple Card Preview: onboarding website goes live ahead of Apple Card launch, includes how to set up video (9to5Mac).
7. Elon Musk hints at Tesla’s secret project ‘Dojo’, possibly marking new strides towards full self-driving (Electrek). This is Elon Musk, though.
8. “The Matrix” is returning to theaters to celebrate its 20th anniversary, and now with Dolby Vision picture and Dolby Atmos audio (The Verge).
10. A crashed Israeli lunar lander spilled tardigrades on the moon (Wired). Which is not illegal on the moon, but it would be on Mars!
11. “What is a true fact so baffling, it should be false?” (r/askreddit). (The life of Frano Selak, the luckiest unlucky man in the world, is pretty crazy.)
DGiT Daily: Your Tech Resource
In case you don’t know, the DGiT Daily delivers a daily email that keeps you ahead of the curve for all tech news, opinions, and links to what’s going down in the planet’s most important field. You get all the context and insight you need, and all with a touch of fun, and the daily fun element that you otherwise miss.