Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to stream from a PC to an Amazon Fire TV Stick
There’s a lot of great content available via a slew of apps on an Amazon Fire TV Stick. The device also offers a few quick and easy ways to mirror or stream content from your PC. Be it to share a slide show of photos, or to watch locally stored movies and TV shows on a bigger screen. There are many reasons why this is a handy feature. Here’s how to stream from a PC to an Amazon Fire TV stick!
You will need to enable mirroring mode to stream from a PC to an Amazon Fire TV stick.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
Stream from a Windows 11/10 PC to a Fire TV stick
You’ll need to check a few things before you can stream from a PC to a Fire TV stick on Windows 11/10. Before getting started, ensure that the Fire TV stick is set up properly and that your PC and Fire TV stick are on the same Wi-Fi network.
Press and hold the home button until a menu appears on the screen. Select Mirroring. You will now see a message that says, “While this screen is open, guest devices can wireless mirror their display to: (name)’s Fire Stick.”
On your Windows 10 PC, open the Notifications section by clicking on the text message icon at the bottom right of the screen (it could also be empty if you have no notifications). You can also hit Windows key + K on Windows 11.
Click Connect. Your Fire TV stick should be listed if both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network. Click on the Fire TV stick listed, and it should connect. You should now see your PC screen mirrored on the TV that the Fire TV stick is plugged into.
- Duplicate — This is the default projection mode and basically mirrors everything that’s happening on your PC. This is ideal if you want to share something on a larger screen but won’t need to use the PC. By default, Windows also silences any notifications, so they don’t pop up while you share something.
- Extended — This enables using the Fire TV stick and your TV as a second screen. It’s the better option if you’re looking to stream from a PC to a Fire TV stick while using the former.
- Second screen only — This mode lets you use the larger screen as the primary display.
You can press any Fire TV stick remote button to exit display mirroring. Remember, though, that accidental presses will cause this mode to end, and you’ll have to go through the pairing process all over again.
Stream from a Mac to a Fire TV stick
There’s no direct way to mirror your PC or stream content from a Mac to a Fire TV stick. A few apps on the Fire TV stick take advantage of Airplay technology to allow screen mirroring. We’ll be using AirPlayMirror Receiver as an example.
- Find the app on the Fire TV stick app store. Go to the Search section and type “Airplay.” Click on the corresponding result, and you’ll see a list of apps that support it.
- Find and click on AirPlay Mirror Receiver. Click on Get to download the app.
- You will have to keep the app open to stream from a Mac.
- On the Mac, go to System Preferences.
- Select Displays.
- Select Show mirroring options in the menu when available.
- The Airplay icon will now appear in the menu bar.
- Open it and select your Fire TV stick device.
Using Plex to stream from a PC to a Fire TV stick
Plex provides a simple way to stream content that is locally stored on your PC across all your devices. You can easily access videos and photos on smartphones, tablets, and video streaming devices, including the Amazon Fire TV stick.
- Install the Plex app on the Fire TV stick (you can find it using the Search function).
- Sign in with your Plex account.
- Ensure that the device (your PC) with the home media server is on.
- You should now be able to access all your content on the Fire TV stick.
The free version of Plex works well. However, to get the most out of Plex, you should also consider signing up for Plex Pass. It offers a slew of features like enhanced audio features, access to live TV, offline access on mobile devices, the ability to add multiple users, the option to enable parental controls, and a lot more.
While there is no official way to stream from a PC to a Fire TV device, there are some workarounds. Using Windows, you can mirror your screen to the Fire TV stick. You can also use some apps, as well as Plex.
It’s common to see a slight delay or lag when streaming to any streaming device, including Fire TV ones.
You’ll only have to pay to stream from PC to Fire TV if you use a paid third-party app. Mirroring from Windows is free.