Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Samsung Galaxy S21 series now receiving January 2022 security update
Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy S21 update hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on updates to the Samsung Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21 Plus, and Galaxy S21 Ultra. We’ll detail the current software versions for each device and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out. Samsung usually pushes out updates to the entire series, but this may vary per variant and carrier.
All the three Galaxy S21 series phones launched with Android 11 and Samsung’s One UI 3.1 skin on top. Samsung will offer three major Android OS updates to the Galaxy S21, S21 Plus, and S21 Ultra. The company also guarantees four years of security updates for all devices.
- Current stable version: Android 12
- When will the Galaxy S21, S21 Plus, and S21 Ultra get Android 13? December 2022 (Estimated)
Latest Samsung Galaxy S21, S21 Plus, and S21 Ultra update
January 6, 2022: Samsung is rolling out the January 2022 security update to its current range-topping series. Per SamMobile, the update brings firmware version G99xBXXU4BULF and a few stability improvements.
The update’s currently available in the Netherlands, but expect it to hit more regions in the coming days. To check if the update is available for your device, head to Settings > Software update and tap on Download and install.
Previous Samsung Galaxy S21 series updates
- December 8, 2021: Samsung rolled out a third One UI 4 update with firmware G99xBXXS3BUL1. The package included the December 2021 security patch, according to SamMobile.
- November 23, 2021: This month, Samsung started the rollout of One UI 4 based on Android 12 to the Galaxy S21 series. However, the update, unfortunately, had a very annoying habit of dropping the display refresh rate to 60Hz the second you took your finger off the display. Now, per XDA-Developers, Samsung has both acknowledged the problem and released a slightly tweaked update that addresses the issue. Other than this fix, though, there doesn’t appear to be much else to the update.
- October 25, 2021: Samsung is rolling out the November 2021 security update to its flagship devices well ahead of the new month. Per SamMobile, firmware version G99xBXXS3AUJ7 is landing on users’ devices in Germany. According to a screenshotted changelog, there’s not much to look forward to, though, bar the usual security and stability improvements.
- October 14, 2021: The October 2021 patch landed in the US with firmware versions G99xUSQS4AUIN and G99xU1UES4AUIN.
- September 28, 2021: Firmware version G991BXXU3AUIE, which included the October 2021 Android security patch, started rolling out in Europe and Asia (via SamMobile).
- September 6, 2021: Samsung released the September 2021 Android security patch to the Galaxy S21 series (firmware version G99xU1UES4AUH9). It first landed on unlocked models in Europe and the United States. There do not appear to be any new features or improvements with the rollout.
- August 25, 2021: Samsung pushed out One UI 3.1.1 to the Galaxy S21 series (via Tizen Help). The rollout is happening in the United States for T-Mobile variants and also happening in Canada for select models. One UI 3.1.1 launched with the new foldable phones from Samsung: the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy Z Flip 3. It brings a handful of new features and improvements. You can see the full list of changes here. It also includes the August 2021 security patch, but Galaxy S21 phones should have already received that from the previous update this month.
What Samsung Galaxy S21 update are you running? Let us know in the comments. Also, if you’ve spotted an OTA that we haven’t, tip us!
If you’re looking for another update, be sure to visit our Android 11 update tracker.