Update (3/16): Note 8 users in Canada and Turkey are waiting for the planned Android 8.0 Oreo updates on March 28, but Samsung has apparently jumped the gun in France. Users in the European country began reporting signs of the Oreo update earlier today.
The update bumps the firmware number up to N950FXXU3CRC1. It also includes the March 2018 security patches. While it isn’t the mass rollout some are hoping for, it’s a good indication that a wider release is just around the corner!
Original article: Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Android update tracker page. This page covers all major U.S. carriers with a quick reference table for each and a log with links to further details. It will be regularly updated with the latest Galaxy Note 8 update information, but note that we won’t be covering general security patches in our list.
We recommend you bookmark this page so you can stay up to date with the very latest updates.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Android update
The Galaxy Note 8 was released in September, 2017 running Android 7.1.1 Nougat and is expected to be one of the first Samsung phones to receive Android Oreo. When this will happen we don’t know, and we can’t draw on the Galaxy Note 7‘s update timeline for an indication either (it was abandoned before it received its first major update).
The Oreo beta for the Samsung Galaxy S8 should be wrapping up in January, and the full rollout should follow shortly after (at least in South Korea). The equivalent Galaxy Note 8 update shouldn’t be too far behind.
Galaxy Note 8 update US
|Samsung Galaxy Note 8 updates - US||Android 7.1.1||Android 8.0|
Verizon Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950UZ*AVZW) update:
- January 29, 2018, Verizon is rolling out the January security patch which addresses Meltdown and Spectre exploits. The update also brings minor bug fixes as well as the “Bokeh” effect in the camera app.
- November 29, 2017, Verizon delivers some camera UI changes, a fix for the KRACK exploit, and the October security updates
- September 15, 2017, Verizon is rolling out a day-one patch to the Note 8 to improve GPS signal strength and Swype word prediction accuracy.
AT&T Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950UZ*AATT) update:
- November 14, 2017, AT&T is rolling out an update that includes network performance enhancements, stability improvements, and patches for the KRACK and BlueBorne vulnerabilities.
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 8 update (SM-N950UZ*ATMB:
- December 22, 2017, T-Mobile rolls out update build N950USQU2BQLA with December security patches, video conferencing improvements, and an update for the carrier’s DIGITS service.
- November 20, 2017, T-Mobile addresses the IMS roaming bug fix while delivering the October and November Google security patches, complete with KRACK fix.
- September 15, 2017, T-Mobile rolls out a day-one patch with stability improvements and bug fixes.
Sprint Galaxy Note 8 update (SM-N950UZ*ASPR):
- November 16, 2017, Sprint updates the Gallery, Reminder, Calendar and Voice Recorder apps, and fixes various bugs (including a Samsung DeX error). Wi-Fi calling has also been improved and renamed “Calling Plus.”
- September 15, 2017, Sprint improves GPS accuracy for Google maps and rolls out some stability improvements.
International Samsung Galaxy Note 8 update (SM-N950F):
- March 16, 2018, Android 8.0 Oreo update rolls out in France (build number N950FXXU3CRC1).
- March 12, 2018, Samsung Canada announced that Canadian variants of the Galaxy Note 8 will begin receiving their Android Oreo updates on March 28.
- January 5, 2018, A Reddit user claiming to be employed by Samsung has uploaded a set of photos of Android Oreo on the Galaxy Note 8. The Redditor says that the update was dispatched by Samsung as part of a soak test — a small scale rollout to check for any potential issues. Check out this list of changes.
- December 12, 2017, Samsung is rolling out a Note 8 update in Europe which improves the Calendar, Gallery, Reminder, and Voice Recorder apps, addresses a Samsung DeX error, and adds the Secure Wi-Fi VPN service.
- November 30, 2017: Samsung is rolling out firmware version N950FXXU1BQK6 that includes the November security patches (fixing the KRACK Wi-Fi and BlueBorne exploits), security improvements to Wi-Fi function, and enhancements to Calendar, Reminder, Gallery, and Voice Recorder apps.
- September 13, 2017: Samsung is rolling out firmware version N950FXXU1AQI1 with improvements to the camera software and wireless charging.
If you’ve received an update we’ve missed, hit the comments below or Tip Us!