There are tons of great video chat apps out there, and everyone seems to have an opinion on one or two. Some people love the versatility of WhatsApp, others prefer the bare-bones Google Duo, while some people use Facebook Messenger simply because, well, everyone has Facebook.
That’s why we asked you to tell us which video apps you use. We listed nine of the most popular video chat apps we could come up with, and there was a clear winner.
Which video chat apps do you use?
Out of almost 1,700 total votes, 34.9% of Android Authority readers said they use WhatsApp for video calls. This was definitely the most popular app on our list, but there was a (slightly) close second: Google Duo with 28.8% of the votes. From there, Facebook Messenger garnered 13.3% of the votes putting it in third, while Skype came in fourth with 8.4% of the votes.
Other video chat apps — including FaceTime, Signal, Viber, and others — made up the last few percentage points.
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- I use Messenger and Telegram.. More people should learn about telegram.
- Telegram should get video chat. it’s so far the best messaging app out there. was very sceptical but wow was I [surprised] how far it bypassed whatsapp!
- Most of my friends in Thailand use Line.
- Video chat is only Google Duo, safe, reliable, convenient and fast. There are many security risks in other video chat tools!
- I use WhatsApp for texting when I have bad cell signal, but do have wifi (happens a lot where I live). I also know a lot of people with phones but no phone plans, so I use Hangouts to text with them. I don’t video chat, cause it sucks. When the person on the other side is looking at your face and not the camera, they don’t make eye contact, but like, you can’t blame them cause they want to look at who they’re calling. It’s super annoying.
- I’ve never used video chat at all. I still like texting (even on WhatsApp, Messenger, etc.) – and if I want to see someone, I’ll meet up with them. Am I really missing out on anything by not using video calling?
That’s it for this week, everyone. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!