- Google’s third-ever Pixel feature drop lands today. It comes with some brand new features as well as some tweaks to existing features.
- Every Pixel phone will get the update except for the original Pixel and Pixel XL. Those two phones no longer receive updates.
- The biggest update in the Pixel feature drop is an improved Adaptive Battery. Hopefully, this will make your Pixel go longer without a charge.
Today, the third Google Pixel feature drop lands. Feature drops are Google’s new way of updating its proprietary smartphones. Each month, they all receive security patches and the usual bug fixes, but every three months they get a bunch of new features.
If you own any Pixel smartphone except for the original Pixel or Pixel XL, you will see a Pixel feature drop today or over the next few days. If you want to know what to expect from it, though, we’ve got the roundup below.
Google Pixel feature drop June 2020:
Here are the new updates your phone will enjoy once you’ve downloaded the latest Pixel feature drop:
- Adaptive Battery: This feature helps conserve precious battery life by reducing system activity as you get closer to zero. Now, though, Adaptive Battery is actually predicting when your phone will run out of battery and compensating appropriately. Of course, bigger batteries would help negate the need for this feature, but Google may have finally gotten that message.
- Prepare for Bedtime: This new Pixel feature drop brings some updates to Google’s suite of Digital Wellbeing tools. Bedtime — which was previously known as Wind Down — has a few new tricks to help you sleep better. We cover this more in-depth in this article.
- Recorder and Assistant working together: Google’s incredibly powerful Recorder app makes it a snap to record lectures, interviews, and meetings. Now, you can use Google Assistant to control Recorder, which means simple voice commands can start/stop recordings. You can also use your voice to search your transcripts.
- Real-life protection: This third Pixel feature drop will not only make your phone more useful, but it will also help keep you safer. Safety check helps you check-in with friends and family while you’re traveling alone and you can issue emergency alerts to several contacts all at once.
As usual, the newest Pixel feature drop will roll out in stages. Some lucky folks will see it today but it might be a day or two before it arrives on every Pixel around the world.