Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
OnePlus 6 and 6T to get Android 10 update after weeks of delays (Updated)
Update, November 25, 2019 (9:30 AM ET): Earlier this month, OnePlus announced the stable Oxygen OS version 10.0 based on Android 10 for the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T was on its way. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen issues, the company had to pause the update while it sorted everything out.
Weeks later, OnePlus finally confirmed the Android 10 update should officially be on its way to OnePlus 6 and 6T devices soon. Right now, it is awaiting CTS approval. If all goes smooth, users should expect the update next week.
OnePlus announced the Oxygen OS Android 10 Open Beta 1 for OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T on it forums. It added that all users who are on the OnePlus Open Beta Program should receive the new beta build through an OTA update.
The manufacturer says that this Oxygen OS Android 10 Open Beta build is only for unlocked, non-carrier variants of the OnePlus 6 and 6T. So those on the T-Mobile version of the OnePlus 6T, for example, are likely out of luck for now.
The company advises users to ensure that their battery level is above 30% and that they have a minimum of 3GB of storage available for the update.
The new Android 10 beta update for last year’s OnePlus phones brings a new UI to the devices. It also adds new customization features in Settings, tweaked full screen gestures, a new Game Space feature, and more.
What’s new in the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T Android 10 update?
- Upgraded to Android 10
- Brand new UI design
- Enhanced location permissions for privacy
- New customization feature in Settings allowing you to choose icon shapes to be displayed in the Quick Settings
Full Screen Gestures
- Added inward swipes from the left or right edge of the screen to go back
- Added a bottom navigation bar to allow switching left or right for recent apps
- New Game Space feature now joins all your favorite games in one place for easier access and better gaming experience
- Intelligent info based on specific times, locations and events for Ambient Display (Settings > Display > Ambient Display > Smart Display)
- Now possible to block spam by keywords for Message (Messages > Spam > Settings > Blocking settings)
Since this is a beta build, it is advisable that you backup your phone before installing it. You should also be aware that beta builds are buggy so if you can hold out until November’s stable rollout, we would advise you to wait.
Have you tried out the new Open Beta for OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T? Let us know in the comments section below.