Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to set up a Fitbit: A step-by-step guide
So you got yourself a new Fitbit. Fitness trackers can be excellent for gauging progress and optimizing your training schedule as you get started on your fitness journey. However, before that, you’ll need to pair your Fitbit and set it up with your phone. Whether it’s the latest Sense, Versa 3, or a Charge 4, the steps are basically the same. Here’s a guide on how to set up Fitbit devices so you can get up and running in no time!
How to download the Fitbit app on your phone
- Head to the Google Play Store on your phone.
- Search for the Fitbit app.
- Tap the install button just like any other app.
How to set up a Fitbit account
- Open the Fitbit app.
- If you are new to the Fitbit ecosystem, tap Join Fitbit to create a new account.
- Next, enter your personal data, including weight and height, so the tracker can provide fine-tuned analytics. Once completed, tap Create an account at the bottom of the screen.
- On the next screen, select your fitness tracker; we’re setting up the Fitbit Versa 2 in this example. The app will show an image of the tracker you selected on the next screen. Double-check that it’s your model and tap the Set up button to continue the pairing process.
How to pair a Fitbit
- Fitbit recommends you connect the charger to your fitness tracker for the duration of the setup process. Continue tapping Next.
- Make sure your phone has Bluetooth toggled on. Your Fitbit will display a four-digit code. Enter that in the app to proceed.
- Depending on the tracker you are using, you might be asked to connect your watch to Wi-Fi. A Wi-Fi connection does speed up the setup process, so we recommend doing this if a wireless network is available.
- Tap Next and the app will check for the latest firmware version for your fitness tracker. If there is new firmware available, it’ll download and install to your watch. This process may take a while.
How to sync your Fitbit
- Once the update is done, you will be guided through some basic steps on how to use your Fitbit.
- The next step is to link the Fitbit app with your fitness tracker.
- The app will sync with your tracker periodically to update the latest stats.
- If you want to force a sync with your tracker, you can do so by pulling down on the home screen in the app.
That’s it! You are now ready to track your fitness stats and start working towards your fitness goals. If you have any questions on how to set up Fitbit devices, let us know in the comments.