Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: Here's what you want from the Google Pixel 5a
Google had a surprise hit on its hands with the Pixel 4a. Although it wasn’t the firm’s flagship, it was a standout device thanks to its excellent value and camera chops. It will take some doing on Google’s part to better the device with the Pixel 5a.
With this in mind, we asked readers what Google should focus on for the Pixel 5a. These are your recommendations.
What do you want to see with the Pixel 5a?
Google Pixel 5a poll results
We saw just under 1,500 votes spread across the six options, but it’s clear that users would settle for just two things.
Leading the tally, 34.5% of respondents want Google to keep the Pixel 5a’s price within Pixel 4a territory. The latter made its debut at $349 giving budget-minded buyers a well-rounded mid-range option.
Readers also voted to bolster one key area of the Pixel 5a. Around 30% of respondents want to see a more versatile camera arrangement. Although we discovered it’s a capable camera in our review, the Pixel 4a uses a single 12MP shooter. No wide-angle, macro, or telephoto shooters are included. It’s perfect for those who want a straightforward, no-nonsense camera phone, but a stunted experience for anyone wanting more.
Don’t miss: The Google Pixel series camera shootout
Coming in third, 16% of users want Google to fit the Pixel 5a with a 90Hz display. This is fast becoming par for the course for mid-range phones. OnePlus has demonstrated with the Nord series that it’s possible to include faster displays without busting the bank. This would also bring the Pixel 5a in line with the Pixel 5.
Finally, fighting for the lesser placings, both 5G connectivity and more colorways raked in just under 5% of the vote.
We also asked users to recommended a few features they would like to see. Wireless charging and water resistance came out tops. Some users also want Google to increase the size of the device, while some prefer the more compact footprint of the Pixel 4a. Peruse more reader comments below.
Here’s what you told us
- Tristan Lofgren: Wireless charging and maybe a 90hz display and the 5a would be perfect.
- George Garrett: Just to be clear, wireless charging is less of a convenience thing for me but more of a longevity reason. My charging ports on many phones from different brands always seem to get worn out over time.
- nunya7878: Keep the smaller 4a (non 5G) size. The smaller 4a is, IMO, a perfect size.
- ItsEasyBeingGreen: Waterproofing, whether formally rated or not, and a faster processor to be more competitive with the iPhone SE.
- Kalyan Rao Viswanadhuni: Continue the Compact phone factor with a full-screen display. 144*70*9 dimensions.
- Randall Ivy: I have impaired vision. I would like a much larger phone to make it easier for me to see.
- allhaileris: I need an IP rating and wireless charging or I will not even consider purchasing.
That’s it for this Google Pixel 5a poll. Thanks to everyone for voting and commenting. If you have any further thoughts on the poll results or the Pixel 5a itself, please drop a comment below.