Your bi-monthly dose of tech industry and developer news, brought to you by the Gary Explains Newsletter
Windows on Arm only needs one thing to become great: Linux, macOS, and Windows all run on Arm-based processors. However, Windows on Arm is currently the weakest solution of the three. There is one thing that could make Windows on Arm great. (YouTube)
The Basics: What is the Cloud? As part of my “The Basics” series, here is a look at the nebulous term called “the cloud.” What is it and how does it affect you? (YouTube)
Does Microsoft have a compiler problem that makes Linux faster? While developing my new benchmark, Speed Test G PC, I noticed the results were much slower on Windows compared to Linux. Here’s why! (YouTube)
Speed Test G battles
Google Pixel 4a vs OnePlus Nord: Two of the most important mid-range phones of 2020 are the Pixel 4a and the OnePlus Nord. They both use Snapdragon 700-series processor, but the chip in the Nord is probably faster. But “probably” isn’t how we work around here. Let’s test them and find out!
Google Pixel 4a vs Google Pixel 4: Google has released its latest mid-range device, the Google 4a. As a mid-range device, it has less processing power than the premium Google Pixel 4. But how much less? Let’s find out by testing the Pixel 4 with the Pixel 4a.
OnePlus Nord vs OnePlus 8: The OnePlus Nord uses the Snapdragon 765G, whereas its bigger sibling, the OnePlus 8, uses the Snapdragon 865. Snapdragon 700-series versus the 800-series. Of course, there are other differences between these two devices, but the question is: how much faster is the OnePlus 8? Let’s find out.
OnePlus Nord vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Can the Snapdragon 765G in the OnePlus Nord compete fairly with the Snapdragon 845 in the Galaxy Note 9?
Nerds only need apply
- IBM takes Power10 processors down to 7nm with Samsung, due to ship by end of 2021: These new processors pack 18 billion transistors into a 602mm2 die, and up to 15 cores that can be used for compute.
- Google Pixel 4a 5G: Everything we know so far: Despite its name, it won’t just be a Pixel 4a with 5G support.
- Microsoft Surface Duo shown off in 30-minute press video: Curious about what the unique hinged device can do? This video covers a lot of it.
- Everything you wanted to know about satellites (but were too afraid to ask): A crash course on satellites: their history, where in the world they are, and how they send and receive data.
- Floppy disks refuse to die: Boeing 747s still use them to get critical software updates.
- Malware Reverse Engineering Handbook : An overview of how to analyze malware executables that are targeting the Windows platform.
- Major Apple assembler Foxconn says China’s “days as the world’s factory are done.”
- Building DIY LED strips for fun: LEDs are amazing. They’re incredibly bright while also using low power.
- Nvidia teases August 31 event countdown ahead of rumored RTX 3080 Ampere GPUs.
- Dell has a spicy new business-focused Chromebook: the Latitude 7410, with high-end specs, extra security, and a 2-in-1 configuration.
Need a power bank for your smartphone? Try the Anker PowerCore 20100mAh. It’s an ultra high-capacity power bank with 4.8A output and PowerIQ technology. It’s highly rated on Amazon, too.
Code Windows apps, software, and more with this top in-demand, versatile language bundle, which includes 11 courses and more than 89 hours of training. The bundle includes:
- C# Programming from Zero to Hero: The Fundamentals
- A 20-Hour C# 6.0 Course with Web Forms & Intro to Unity
- C#: The Complete Foundation
- C# Performance Tricks: How To Radically Speed Up Your Code